Alternate route down from Jungfraujoch?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 4:56:38 #816616

Hello,

We will be in Lauterbrunnen July 16th and we plan to take the train to Jungfraujoch from there. Is there an interesting alternate route you would suggest to get back down the mountain and back to our hotel in Lauterbrunnen?

Thank you,

Tom and Linda

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 June 2018 at 5:18:36 #888171

Hello Tom and Linda and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

If you go up via Wengen then you can come down via Grindelwald. There is even a ticket for that specific route. https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfraujoch/get tingthere

From there you can return by train to Lauterbrunnen via Zweilütschinen or take the cable ways across to Wengen via Mannlichen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 10:51:03 #888172

How long is the train ride back down the mountain take from Kleine Scheidegg to Grindelwald back up to Lauterbrunnen take?

Also how far and difficult is the hike to the Botanical Alpine Gardens and is it only accessible from Schynige Platte?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    13 June 2018 at 10:57:35 #888173

Sorry, I don’t do hikes. The SBB Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable) will tell you how long the train takes.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2018 at 14:22:38 #888174

Hi Tomandlinda,

The gardens can be accessed at the Schynige Platte panoramic hike. Details here: https://www.myswissalp s.com/hiking/schynigep latte

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 0:04:58 #888175

It is standard practice (especially if starting the excursion from Interlaken) to travel one way via Lauterbrunnen and one way via Grindelwald. Kleine Scheidegg – Zweilutschinen via Grindelwald takes 1 hour, ten its a short wait for the next train to Lauterbrunnen – only few minutes journey .

I don’t know what your level of hiking ability is, but last summer my wife and I hiked down from Kleine Scheidegg to Grindelwald (medium – easy walking).

We also hiked Schynigge Platte – Burglauenen (a station on the Grindelwald – Zweilütschinen railway). It was beautiful but pretty challenging in places (the mountain side is quite steep)

Best option is to take the ancient train up – see the garden, look at the walking (Wanderweg) map and decide if you want to walk down to the valley

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2018 at 11:38:56 #888176

The train fare is also cheaper (by about SFR 12) if you go up by Grindelwald and return by Latterbrunnen or vice versa . The Grindelwald – Kleine Schenegg route is more scenic than the route thru Laterbrunnen .

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 June 2018 at 17:17:09 #888177

Hello all,

I am wondering if this itinerary is doable in 2 days or combine into 1 day (Aug 16 from Montreux, overnight in Wengen.)

Day 1/August 17: Wengen to Manlichen to Kleine Scheidegg. Then via Alpiglen to Grindelwald-Grund. Take gondola lift back to Wengen hotel. Would this take all day or half day if our intention is just sightseeing while enjoying different modes of transportation?

Day 2/Aug 18: Wengen to Grütschalp (via Lauterbrunnen right?) To Mürren and onto Schilthorn (via Birg right?)

Thank you all for your time and kind guidance!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    25 June 2018 at 5:42:08 #888178

>> I am wondering if this itinerary is doable in 2 days or combine into 1 day

If I understand correctly, you are walking from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, and the rest of the time would be taking trains or cableways.

In that case, you can plan out your trips using the Swiss Timetable, and that will tell you how long it will take.

On top of that, allow about 1.5 hours for the walk from Männlichen to Kleine Scheidegg, or 2 hours if you want to stop frequently and take photos.

>> Wengen to Grütschalp (via Lauterbrunnen right?)

Yes.

>> To Mürren and onto Schilthorn (via Birg right?)

Yes.

If you have any follow-up questions, please start your own topic 🙂

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/miscellaneous

Alpenrose

• The thread ‘Alternate route down from Jungfraujoch?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.