Similar town to Zermatt for hiking in August?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2019 at 10:48:41 #819466

Hello,

I hope this message finds you all well. This is my first post!

I have been lucky enough to visit Zermatt with my family (two kids of 15 and 20 years old) 3 times over the last ten years. We essentially spend our days hiking (from 5 to 7 hours) and come back to the resort in the evening. What we like about Zermatt is that we leave our car at the station and don’t bother with it during our stay, and we just take the lift/cable car/subway from the village, and have immediate access to trails of varying difficulties with stunning views.

We are looking for the same possibilities, but in a different village on the first week of August (maximum drive of 4 to 5 hours from Lyon, France). Is there one or several that you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for all your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2019 at 17:15:33 #902037

Hi stephb and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The most popular alternative for you would the the car-free towns of Wengen or Mürren – both in the Jungfrau region. There are many hikes in the area to keep you busy with hiking!

The Graubünden region (http://www.myswissalps.com/gr aubunden) could work very well for you too – but it is getting too far from Lyon I think.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 January 2019 at 17:32:12 #902038

Hi Lucas,

Thank you for your prompt reply and you suggestions.

Indeed, Wengen looks really nice. What do you think of Saas-Fe?

Thanks for your input.

Stephanie

SummitClym
    Participant
    41 posts
    13 January 2019 at 19:59:55 #902039

Here is an unconventional suggestion. Leukerbad. Its within 4 hours drive of Lyon, plenty of parking and has a wonderful public water park with slides & warm pools. There is also a sport arena with many activities for adults and children. And the Gemmi pass is a hike never to be forgotten (it’s steep). You can take the gondola to the top and hike down or hike around the top. You could even take the 3.5 hour (1 way) hike to Kandersteg / Oeschinensee depending on your desired level of activity. The best part of Leukerbad is the lack of typical tourists. We encountered far more Russians and French than American or Asian tourists.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2019 at 0:33:28 #902040

Any of the high alpine resorts in the ‘swathe’ of Switzerland running south west to north east from the Grand St Bernard pass via the Valais/Zermatt region to Chur would suit. Most are geared for outdoor pursuits in summer, eg: any of the Valais ski resorts, Riederalp, Binn, Andermatt – Realp, Oberalp – Sedrun – Disentis , Flims/Laax, and the whole of Graubünden.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2019 at 0:34:22 #902041

Saas Fee is only one valley away from Zermatt, so not very different

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 January 2019 at 10:51:31 #902042

Thank you for you message 1960man. I know that Saas Fee is very close by, and I am not particularly looking for something different in terms of scenery because Zermatt is perfect and offers some variety. I saw in several posts on other forums that Saas Fee was more rugged, with not much vegetation, so I am not quite sure I would like it there. We like hiking at different altitudes. I will also look into the other high Alpine resorts you mentioned. Thanks again!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 January 2019 at 9:11:54 #902043

Thank you all for your input! I have tried really hard to find something in Mürren, Grindewald, and Wengen because the Oberland region looks beautiful, but to no avail. I have ended booking in Zermatt once again! The options are far greater in terms of accommodation, more spacious and modern, better quality/price ratio, and they do accept dogs almost everywhere!!

Thank you again to all of you.

Arno
    15483 posts
    18 January 2019 at 9:37:55 #902044

Enjoy your time in Zermatt! Not bad at all to stay there again I’d say. Plus, you have another reason to come back to Switzerland for variety 🙂 Perhaps the Engadine next time: http://www.myswissalps.com/up perengadine

• The thread ‘Similar town to Zermatt for hiking in August?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.