Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Ancestry research in the Canton of Neuchatel

Ancestry research in the Canton of Neuchatel

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Bluejmahony
Bluejmahony
3 posts
Sep 27, 2019 - 5:33 AM

I am looking for people and places that will help me explore my Swiss ancestry which can be traced back to the 1600's in Bevaix. Any suggestions?

Anna
Anna
827 posts
top member &
Sep 27, 2019 - 12:20 PM

Hi Bluejmahony,

I'm afraid I won't be much of help for you. What I do know is most local communities keep a family book or family register that dates back a few decades or hundreds of years, so you might want to start from there. You need to know the exact family name and the exact community your ancestor(s) came from.

I did a quick search on the Internet and I think this page may help:
kunden.eye.ch/swissgen /intro-e.htm

I guess the best way to do your research is to make a personal visit to Neuchatel. At the same time, it's a good reason to explore the various regions in Switzerland, if you have time.

www.myswissalps.com/re gions

Good luck with your search.

Anna

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7483 posts
expert
Sep 27, 2019 - 11:46 PM in reply to Bluejmahony

Hi BluejMahoney...

Welcome to the Forum.

Swiss genealogy records are of generally high quality. An internet search will turn up a lot of useful information.

However, the best place to start an in person on-site search when you are in Switzerland is in the commune/Gemeinde of concern. What languages do you speak or read?

Bevaix is not large; it may be that the wave of consolidating communes/Gemeindes in Switzerland over the past few years will find it submerged in a larger aggregation.

A Wiki search for Bevaix will show the consolidation.

<<"Bevaix

Municipality in Switzerland

Description

Bevaix is a former municipality in the district of Boudry in the canton of Neuchâtel in Switzerland. On 1 January 2018 the former municipalities of Bevaix, Saint-Aubin-Sauges, Gorgier, Vaumarcus, Montalchez and Fresens merged into the new municipality of La Grande-Béroche. Wikipedia

Weather: 58°F (14°C), Wind W at 12 mph (19 km/h), 82% Humidity

Postal code: 2022

Local time: Saturday 1:42 AM

Population: 3,792 (Dec 31, 2009)

Hotels: 3-star averaging $168. View hotels">>

It is this new commune:

www.lagrandeberoche.ch /fr/accueil/

Slowpoke

1960man
1960man
2673 posts
top member
Sep 27, 2019 - 11:56 PM

www.lagrandeberoche.ch /fr/administration/ser vices-communaux/services-communaux/

This is a drill down to the commune covering Bevaix and it's services related to inhabitants. Could be the best place to start to ask about archive registers etc

Bluejmahony
Bluejmahony
3 posts
Sep 28, 2019 - 1:43 AM in reply to Anna

Thank you to all for the welcome to the Forum and the helpful information!

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020