Grand opening of the Andermatt Concert Hall

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 June 2019 at 2:42:30 #915430

Hi Peterli,

Great video. Tell me, what language is the Internet Café owner speaking. It sound kind of German but kind of not.

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    18 June 2019 at 3:29:31 #915431

Hello Rockoyster,

Bänz Simmen is speaking Swiss-German ! Even a German would have some difficulty understanding all that he is saying. I’m pretty sure Slowpoke would as well. 😉

The videos are super great. If you want there are others in the series. A while ago I watched Mystic Mountains Episode 4, which follows three young men who grew up in Andermatt and ski (freeriding) some fantastic slopes in the area. It is at youtu.be/00jnJ0g1gW4 There are oodles more episodes if you are interested.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 June 2019 at 6:29:13 #915432

WOW. Oh to be young again. 🍻

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2019 at 10:53:14 #915433

Hi guys,

Just quickly, Bänz Simmen speaks quite standard Swiss German, not even with a particularly strong accent..

However, Swiss German is anyway not considered a proper language and IS very varied..so don’t worry!

Ever tried understanding a Swiss German speaker from the Valais, nor THAT can even be tricky for me.. 😉

Cheers,
    Steph

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    18 June 2019 at 10:58:11 #915434

Hi Steph,

Thanks. Bänz seems like a bit of a character. I will go out of my way to search out him and his internet café (do such things exist anymore) one day.

ps He wasn’t hard to find – http://www.kiosk61.ch/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 June 2019 at 11:09:48 #915435

He does seem to be quite a character, yes. I’d come along for a coffee at his place immediately.

In more rural areas such small businesses do still exist, luckily!

People, who have spent all their lives in the valley, village, etc. are very familiar with culture, etc. and are often a very important part of the traditional life and village spirit in such places.

But I’m sure this exists everywhere..no?!

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    19 June 2019 at 4:57:50 #915436

Hi Steph,

You said << Ever tried understanding a Swiss German speaker from the Valais, nor THAT can even be tricky for me.. 😉 >> I was wondering if Swiss-German is your first language ? Somewhere on one of my external computer drives is a video of kids from the High Valais speaking their version of German and if I can find it, I’ll post a link to it. It was very different and rather sing-songy (is that a word ?).

On the subject of the Valais, there is a franco-provençal “patois” still spoken by locals up in some of the valleys, such as in Evolène. youtu.be/Y1R5L5L4DlA

• The thread ‘Grand opening of the Andermatt Concert Hall’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.