Annecy to Geneva by bus – is it reliable in May?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 November 2017 at 22:30:32 #871329

Hi Snowman-

<<“In Montreux you can visit nearby Chillon castle, one of the best kept

and most scenic medieval castles in Switzerland. You can take a lcal

cogwheel train to Rochers-de-Naye and enjoy a breathtaking view on the

lake and the Alps…….”>>

You are absolutely right about the many attractions of Montreux. It has been a while since I was there, but I wonder if the hillside location could offer some minor nuisance factor with the small children.

And, my intent was not to denigrate Montreux, but, rather, to respond to Jenivis’ emphasis on time of travel.. It might be desirable to build a schedule that gets them all together as fast as possible, while minimizing travel time for the Aussie contingent. So, I was exploring how to do that. Not saying it should be done, but offering a choice based on Jenivis’ emphasis on time of travel.

As we engineers say when managing a project – setting priorities, then doing the trades offs between time to completion, quality of results, and cost . 😉

Slowpoke

Jenivis
    Participant
    13 posts
    3 November 2017 at 22:39:38 #871330

Again great advice all round.I forgot to mention that Lucerne is already on the agenda at the end of the journey. Montreux was the choice for our 1st base cause we’ve not been to this part of Switzerland and because if its link to Zermatt & Lausanne (never been) and the cog wheel train and the chocolate train?……..its all coming together and I’ve just booked accommodation in Annecy. I am confident we will have choices of buses to Geneva although I am still looking at Flix bus depending on how many daily services. As for Swiss trains and connections …absolutely no more needs said based on our wonderful experiences last year when we used our Swiss Pass extensively Including to Basel Bern Lucerne Zurich and theJangfrau….brilliant!

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    3 November 2017 at 22:58:51 #871331

Switzerland is probably a tiny country by your standards. Yet a day trip from Montreux to Zermatt and back, with small kids, is in my opinion not the best idea, esp. if you want to decide in advance and it turns out tha the Matterhorn is somewhere hidden in the fog… Or at least have Sion, not Montreux, as your base. Sion is a nice place with a number of sightseeing opportunities.

Jenivis
    Participant
    13 posts
    3 November 2017 at 23:08:07 #871332

Thanks Snowman…it’ll only be just me and my husband going to Zermatt. I agree too long and ambitious a trip with babies in tow. We may even stay overnight in Zermatt….we’ll keep an eye on weather conditions up there from Montreux and pick our day. Matterhorn visibility seems a bit like Mt Cook in New Zealand….been 3 times and still to see it!! ..Hope Montreaux is nice enough…we can train it to Vevey and Lausanne for a visit and the apartment we’ve booked looks comfortable and on the Grand Rue somewhere. Thanks to all once again

Viewing 4 posts - 21 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • The thread ‘Annecy to Geneva by bus – is it reliable in May?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.