Any big mistakes in this Swiss itinerary in Sept?

• 2022toliver
    Participant
    8 posts
    16 August 2022 at 17:41:46 #828104

Hello, I am in my mid 40s and will be traveling to Switzerland with my daughter (20) and parents (72) September 1-9 and have the following general plan mapped out. We intend to be a bit flexible with our days in order to do more of what we discover along the way and to deal with the weather as well. We will have a Swiss Travel Pass during our travels and are staying in AirBnBs.

We enjoy gentle hikes (or if more taxing then at least on the shorter side), exploring small towns and relaxing in cafes as well as beautiful scenery. We prefer to experience an area more in depth then dart around to catch all of highlights if that makes sense. We don’t mind full days, but don’t enjoy sun up to sun down each day – need a little down time to enjoy what is around us as well. Based on what we have planned am I making any big mistakes or leaving out a must do? All recommendations are appreciated!

Day 1 – Arrive on a morning international flight and after clearing customs and checking my daughter’s study abroad luggage in at the service counter we plan to grab some lunch to eat on the train to Luaterbrunnen where we will be staying for 5 nights. We’ll grab some groceries and possibly check out the path between Lauterbrunnen and Stechelberg via bike and/or go to Trummelbach.

Day 2, 3, 4 or 5 – Ride the Golden Pass Line to Montreux. Walk the promenade to Chateau Chillon and then boat/train to location (Chexbres?) to wander through the vineyard Lavaux UNESCO region (via Chemin des Fosses?).

Day 2, 3, 4 or 5 – Explore Schilthorn. Maybe hike Gimmelwald to Murren via The North Face loop. Explore Murren. Hike down to Grütschalp.

Day 2, 3, 4, or 5 – Boat ride on Lake Breinz that includes Giessbach falls, Iseltwald, and Brienz. Back to Interlaken where my daughter plans to bungee jump.

Day 2, 3, 4, or 5 – Explore the Wengen/Grindelwald area. Go to Männlichen and hike on of the trails there.

Day 6 – We are transferring to Luzern so we have the option of checking out Interlaken if we haven’t gotten to it yet, traveling to Speiz, or something else in the area we haven’t gotten to. We could also head to Luzern to start exploring there or any combination of the above.

Day 7 – Travel to Mount Rigi via boat ride on Lake Luzern to Vitznau.

Day 8 – Explore Luzern favorites such as Old Town, Chapel Bridge, etc. Transfer to airport hotel for early morning flight, pick up left luggage at the service counter. Could consider going to Zurich earlier if we feel we feel we have spent enough time here.

Day 9 – Depart via 6:00am flight.

Sometime during the trip we would like to have some amazing fondue and great local chocolates (may check out he chocolate exhibit at the Swiss Museum of Transport) so suggestions for these would also be appreciated.

Tracy

• The thread ‘Any big mistakes in this Swiss itinerary in Sept?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.