Which delivery option to choose for Tell Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 17:25:57 #823407

Hello, My wife and I will be traveling to Switzerland, arriving at Zurich airport on 19 September. We will then be staying in Luzern for 4 nights, then traveling to Basel on 23 September. My plan has been to purchase point to point tickets when we arrive in Zurich, from the airport to the main Luzern station, which is only a 5 minute walk to our hotel. I also plan to purchase point to point tickets to Basel on 23 September. During our stay in Luzern, my plan is to purchase a Tell Pass.

My questions are these:

1. Is there any advantage to purchasing a one day Flex pass now for our day of arrival in Zurich? We do not know how long collecting baggage, clearing customs, and finding the train platform will take, and therefore do not know at this time what train we will need to take. I would think that just purchasing tickets once we have cleared everything at the airport would be fine, and certainly less expensive, but am wondering if any advantage to the Flex pass since we don’t know our exact timetable yet.

2. Does anyone have any experience purchasing a Tell Pass online and having it mailed to the US? The Happy Rail website states that the shipping time to the US is 2-6 days, but when I contacting a Happy Rail representative via email, I was told that it could be much longer due to US Customs holding up overseas mail. Is this true? I have a little over 1 month until departure, is that enough time? Would it be wiser to wait and purchase the Tell Pass once we get to Luzern?

3. At what train station in Basel would we need arrive in order to get to the Rhine port to board a river cruise?

I realize that is a lot of information, forgive me for the long post. Thank you in advance for any help and advice anyone can offer me.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 August 2019 at 21:22:45 #920114

1. There is no such thing as a 1-day Flex Pass and a p2p ticket would be cheaper than a Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass). A regular fare p2p ticket is good for any train on your day of arrival. Just don’t buy a Supersaver ticket which would be tied to a specific train.

2. I wouldn’t run the risk of the mail. There seems no advantage. You will have time to buy the Tell Pass on arrival in Luzern.

3. You will arrive at Basel SBB. You should contact your tour operator to find out how best to reach the docks. Many cruise boat companies offer a pick-up service from the station.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 21:33:37 #920115

Thank you Rockoyster! Since you indicated that a p2p ticket is good on any train on arrival day, do you think is it a good idea or a time saver to purchase p2p tickets online to print out prior to arrival in Zurich? I could also do the same for p2p tickets for the day that we travel to Basel. What is your opinion?

Thanks again,

Joe

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 August 2019 at 22:15:09 #920116

Hi Joe,

Getting the airport to Luzern tickets on-line in advance is what I would do. It’s certainly easier than having to queue or learn the mysteries of a ticket machine, which however straightforward is not the sort of hassle I’d want after a long flight.

Try to pick a direct, no-change train. Zurich HB which is where you would otherwise change is a very large and busy station to be finding your way around

You could do the same with your Basel tickets but you will have ample opportunity to get those while in Lucerne.

Happy travels.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 22:29:57 #920117

“2. Does anyone have any experience purchasing a Tell Pass online and having it mailed to the US? The Happy Rail website states that the shipping time to the US is 2-6 days, but when I contacting a Happy Rail representative via email, I was told that it could be much longer due to US Customs holding up overseas mail. Is this true? I have a little over 1 month until departure, is that enough time? Would it be wiser to wait and purchase the Tell Pass once we get to Luzern?”

You can print the Tell Pass at home. I’m in the United States and purchased and printed the pass at home on the day of my departure. You can buy it directly at the following site:

http://www.tellpass.ch/en/

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 22:38:34 #920118

Again, thank you for the reply. Just to confirm, I can purchase p2p tickets online prior to arrival in Zurich, print them and bring them with me on my flight. Then, after landing, gathering baggage, and clearing customs, it is simply a matter of finding a direct train to Luzern using my pre-printed tickets, is this correct?

Thanks again,

Joe

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 22:41:27 #920119

Thank you! I will try that! I was very confused about this, as a Happy Rail representative told me that I could not print, but would have to have them mailed to the US, to my hotel, or just purchase it when I get there. No mention was ever made that they could be printed, and the Happy Rail website actually does not give me that option. Thank you again.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    15 August 2019 at 22:41:33 #920120

Correct.

Use the timetable on the SBB website (bit.ly/2HH1U7B) or the highly-recommended SBB Mobile app (bit.ly/2ICIUHi) to plan your travel, find fares* and buy tickets if required. If you are not familiar with using the timetable it will pay to first read the instructions on this page – http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable. *SBB website shows half-fare prices by default, mobile app allows you to nominate full or half-fare and is also smart enough to offer you the Saver Day Pass (http://www.myswissalps.com/sa verdaypass) if that offers the best fare.

Also as noted above you can opt for print at home delivery of your Tell Pass. Different retailers offer varying delivery options but just about all passes are now available for on-line delivery from at least one source.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2019 at 22:44:14 #920121

Thank you again! This forum is so helpful!

Joe

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    15 August 2019 at 22:55:58 #920122

I would purchase (on line) a point to point ticket for your journey from Zurich airport to Luzern. They can be printed at home.

Then when you arrive in Luzern and have settled into your hotel make your way back to the station to purchase your “Tell Pass”.

I presume your arrival day is not the first day of your Tell Pass. That would be a waste of money. Maybe, after settling in at your hotel and purchasing the “Tell Pass” you could enjoy the remainder of the day exploring Luzern on foot?

People often talk about “wasting time” purchasing tickets &c but I believe that can be part of the travel experience. Of course, we are all different and what could be an “experience” for one traveller could be a “chore” for another.

Enjoy your travels and let’s know on here how you get on.

Annika
    7121 posts
    16 August 2019 at 6:02:22 #920123

Hi Oldophead!

You can arrange for your ticket Zurich Airport-Lucerne through http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/switzerland. And as mentioned, retailers offer different shipping options. Many products are now available as print-at-home e-tickets, and I expect the Tell Pass and some more regional passes to turn into print-at-home passes through most retailers in the (hopefully near) future as well: http://www.myswissalps.com/te llpass/price.

• The thread ‘Which delivery option to choose for Tell Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11020 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.