Anyone knows this tree (shot in Lausanne)?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 April 2018 at 12:54:52 #815194

Hi,

The attached photo was shot last June at Quai de Belgique, Lausanne. Where is adjacent to the Olympic Museum. The tree is perfect cone shape. Grateful if anyone can help me find out all about the tree.

Thanks!

Moderators please help to rotate the photo. Much thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 April 2018 at 2:00:09 #881335

Looks like a conifer of some sort. A bit broad I know. But it looks better vertical.

Quite a mix of deciduous and evergreen trees along that stretch bit.ly/2JtNFjM 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 9:00:02 #881336

Thank you Rockoyster,

Yes, the same tree in Google Map. As I remember it’s the only one around. I do think it is evergreen. The strong, tall and perfect cone attracted me but could not find its name. It looked grow naturally instead of tree training.

Btw, how did you rotate the photo? Any trick to post a vertical photo here? I re-sized the photo before post, which was rotated after upload.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 April 2018 at 9:34:51 #881337

Lots of conifers grow naturally like that. The con(e) in the name is a bit of a giveaway. 🤓

Whatever program you use to get photos off your camera should have a rotate function.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 April 2018 at 10:00:03 #881338

Yes, Much thanks! 🙂

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    8 April 2018 at 19:30:56 #881339

Here’s a view of the same tree looking at it from the west. I am pretty sure that it has been trimmed since infancy to look that way. Perhaps Christmas lights are put on it in the Winter time ? We could ask the two men who are working there but they aren’t there right now, I suspect. The word “Conifer” refers not to the shape of the tree but rather the cones it bears for reproduction.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 April 2018 at 20:42:58 #881340

I forgot the 😎.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 3:30:38 #881341

Thank you Peterli,

I agree with your observation as pruning is usual practice to beautify trees. No matter it grows naturally or has been trimmed, I enjoyed that good-looking-healthy tree much when walking along the lakeside promenade. 🙂

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 April 2018 at 4:42:00 #881342

Yes, pruning is the word I was searching for. In French it is tailler un arbre (a tree) or une haie (a hedge). “Trimmed” just didn’t look right to me. In Lausanne they would have big rigs, like cherry-pickers to go up and around the tree to do a pretty good job. You are correct that this tree is flourishing. Next time I am down there in Lausanne I’ll see if I can find out the answer to your original question.

In the meantime, if you are interested in the most beautiful trees in Lausanne, the map at this link shows the location of the 33 trees that were chosen. http://www.lausanne.ch/en/the matiques/nature-parcs-et-domaines/arbres-faune-et-flore/patrimoine-arbore/plus-beaux-arbres-de-lausanne/plus-beaux-arbres.html Sorry but I think it is only in French. I clicked on the British and German flags at the top right but everything seems to stay en français ! Je suis navré ! There is even a magnificent Cedar of Lebanon, see: http://www.lausanne.ch/en/the matiques/nature-parcs-et-domaines/arbres-faune-et-flore/patrimoine-arbore/entretien-arbres/fiches-des-especes/cedres/cedre-du-liban.html

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 5:28:35 #881343

That’s awesome! ( C’est génial – from translation app.) 🙂

I’ll keep on finding the answer too. Definitely add more loving feeling if it grows naturally.

Much thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 April 2018 at 6:47:51 #881344

Hi,

The trees are stunning. Is there a similar website for Luzern or Interlaken?

• The thread ‘Anyone knows this tree (shot in Lausanne)?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.