About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum April travel to Lucerne, Lugano, and 1 more region
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

April travel to Lucerne, Lugano, and 1 more region

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Linekinlady
Linekinlady
8 posts
Nov 16, 2022 - 10:07 PM

My husband and I, both 73, had to cancel a September trip because of health issues, and are now limited by our airline tickets to traveling in April which would not be our first choice. We have 8 days from April 3-10.

We will arrive in Zurich at 10:30 AM on April 3rd and plan to head to Lucerne for two nights ( April 3 and 4). We visited this beautiful city in 2016, but encountered rain and fog for the days we were there, so hope to be able to see the mountains this time.

We are not sure what to expect in the Bernese Oberland area in April, so looking for advice as to where to base ourselves for 2 nights (April 5 and 6).

We stayed in Lauderbrunnen in May 2016 and explored Wengen, Murren, Grindelwald and Kleine Scheidegg. We loved the area and wouldn't mind going back, but not sure how it would be at the beginning of April. Wondering if we would be better off going to Thun?

Or if there are other areas we should consider in that general area. We have been to Bern, Montreux and Gruyere.We want to spend our last 3 nights (April 7, 8 and 9) in Lugano/Lake Como region and plan to take a morning train back to Zurich on April 10th for our flight out at 5:30.

So, in summary, I am looking for suggestions for where to explore during the middle portion of the trip and any advice on what not to miss in Lugano/Lake Como region as we have not been to that area. Thank you in advance for your help. I used your site when I planned my previous trip to Switzerland and it was a tremendous help.

1960man
1960man
4378 posts
expert
Nov 17, 2022 - 12:36 AM in reply to Linekinlady

Early April is OK as a time to visit. I visited Switzerland around Easter for about 16 consecutive years and it is always fine. You just have to be prepared for variations in the weather, and carefullly choose the altitude. One day it can be very spring like the next day it can snow.

Rather than repeat t he Jungfrau area, you could go to Appenzell or Graubunden. I suggest you visit Graubunden and stay in Samedan or Pontresina, and ride around on the comprehensive Rhaetian railway network

Ildiko
Ildiko
2515 posts
expert &
Nov 17, 2022 - 1:51 PM in reply to Linekinlady

Hi Linekinlady,

It is great that you are coming back to Switzerland.

You can read about the weather here: www.myswissalps.com/weather and www.myswissalps.com/weather/winter. The weather in April is very changeable. And it is still wintertime in the mountains.

You can also visit Zermatt: www.myswissalps.com/zermatt. But it will be colder there as the elevation of Zermatt is 1600 m. But it is still a wonderful place.

Graubunden is a great idea from 1960man, you can read here about this region: www.myswissalps.com/graubunden.

Canton Ticino will be also nice (with Locarno, Bellinzona and Lugano): myswissalps.com/ticino

You can browse more regions here: www.myswissalps.com/regions

Regards,

Ildiko

Last modified on Nov 17, 2022 - 1:52 PM by Ildiko
Linekinlady
Linekinlady
8 posts
Nov 17, 2022 - 2:35 PM in reply to 1960man

1960man thank you for confirming that it will be good to visit in April. We will look into your suggestions for the Graubunden area.....it would be a new place to explore.

Ildiko, thank you for all the links. We did visit Zermatt on the first trip, but would consider it again. So many wonderful places to visit in Switzerland, it's hard to choose! I will be busy doing my research. Thank you again.

Linekinlady
Linekinlady
8 posts
Nov 17, 2022 - 2:37 PM in reply to Ildiko

Ildiko, thank you for all the links. We did visit Zermatt on the first trip, but would consider it again. So many wonderful places to visit in Switzerland, it's hard to choose! I will be busy doing my research. Thank you again. Your site has been so very helpful.

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022