Are 3 mins enough to change platforms at Göschenen

• Skarif
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 June 2018 at 1:50:45 #816516

Hi,

We would be 2 adults and 2 kids (13 and 7 year old). and will have luggages. Swiss time table gave me following connections . I see that it gave us only 3 minutes to change platforms (from platform 1 to platform 11) in Göschenen. Are 3 minutes enough for that there?

Flüelen Platform 3(14:16)-Erstfeld, Platform 2(14:24)

Erstfeld, Platform 4(14:37)-Göschenen, Platform 1(15:01)

Göschenen, Platform 11 (15:04)-Andermatt(15:14)

Andermatt, Platform 1(15:28)-Disentis/Mustér (16:39)

Disentis/Mustér, Platform 3(16:44)-Chur, Platform 12(18:01)

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 June 2018 at 3:23:18 #887706

Hello Skarif and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Looks like 10 minutes from times you have posted.

Attached picture shows Göschenen platform numbers.

Skarif
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 June 2018 at 5:15:19 #887707

Thanks for your reply rockoyster. The arrival at Göschenen is at 15:01. The departure from Göschenen is at 15:04. So, it is 3 minutes only. Do you think, 3 minutes would be enough?

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 June 2018 at 5:34:21 #887708

It sounds pretty tight to me. But if the timetable offers you that connection it is theoretically doable.

You would need to be ready get off the train as soon as it stops and head over to Platform 11 as fast as you can.

I would be inclined to cut a bit of extra slack and get an earlier boat to Flüelen. I’m guessing you are trying to combine the Gotthard Panorama Express and Glacier Express route? The paddle steamers that ply the route between Luzern and Flüelen are all pretty much the same so as long as you pick an earlier paddle steamer you won’t miss out on anything.

Unless of course you don’t mind getting to Chur a bit later if you miss the connection.

Skarif
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 June 2018 at 5:43:21 #887709

Yes, you got it right. We are trying to follow the same route as the Gotthard Panorama Express and Glacier Express, but, taking different trains than those specific trains, because, we are not certain if we can make them and hence don’t want to lose on the seat reservations. The steamer from Luzern to Fluelen leaves at 11:12 for the Gotthard Panorama Express. Where can I find other timings of the Steamers?

Thanks.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 June 2018 at 5:55:37 #887710

The next earlier paddle steamer is 9:12. If you look at the timetable here you will not the little paddle steamer icon in the top row. The 10:12 is not one of the traditional paddle steamers but a more modern boat.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 7:44:26 #887711

>> Swiss time table gave me following connections . I see that it gave us only 3 minutes to change platforms (from platform 1 to platform 11) in Göschenen. Are 3 minutes enough for that there?

The transfer times generated by the Swiss Timetable are designed to be achievable.

My post of Apr 4, 2018 – 6:51 AM on the following page might help you to understand what’s involved in changing trains at Göschenen.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/is-this-enough-time-to-change-trains

Alpenrose

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    8 June 2018 at 22:39:54 #887712

The connections are guaranteed but the three minutes will go VERY quickly if there are lots of people around.

But especially if you have luggage I believe it’s better to make a longer connection.

Time to take in the ambience of the local area, grab a coffee, go to the lavatory, etc., etc.

But if it’s a day out and you get off the SBB train quickly you should be fine.

The ride from Goschenen to Andermatt is spectacular!

Enjoy your travels.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    8 June 2018 at 23:11:54 #887713

Just had another look at the timetable. If you miss the 15:04 from Göscenen there is another train at 15:11 which stilll gives you a 7 minute change at Andermatt. Maybe not so big a problem as first thought?

Skarif
    Participant
    8 posts
    8 June 2018 at 23:33:46 #887714

Really!!! That’s great. Thanks a lot.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2018 at 23:58:17 #887715

Your trains are clearly designed to connect with each other. Don’t worry it is not far (about 30 seconds walk) and you would not be left behind by staff if you are part of the general collection of travellers making the same interchange

It sounds like a long way from platform 1 to platform 11, but the addition of 10 to the number is part of the way that different segments of Swiss stations are divided. In the case of Göschenen, this is where you change from standard rail gauge national system, to the metre gauge MGB network. Platform 11 is actually in the station forecourt (like a bus would be in most countries but still common in Switzerland) hence the very different platform number

In this picture:

upload.wikimedia.org/w ikipedia/commons/1/14/ Bahnhof_Göschenen_2014 0426.jpg

your train will stop where the red works train can be seen, and the MGB train will be waiting on the right hand side just behind the station building

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    9 June 2018 at 20:14:50 #887716

Hej,

I’m “on the road” these days but had time to quickly look at the newest threads.

Not to worry at all when you get to Göschenen. The only thing separating platforms 1 and 11 is the tiny train station itself, so just go through the station. It’s no more than 25 metres to walk. I managed this with 21 teen-age students and nobody got lost or left behind. Just be ready, with your baggage in hand, to get off the train when it comes to a stop, and don’t dilly-dally inside the train station. The station master knows that there are only a few minutes and he will ensure that everybody has the chance to get on board for the ride up to Andermatt. As you no doubt already know, the Swiss railway system runs about as efficiently as a Swiss watch, designed to facilitate transfers not only between trains, but also to postal cars and lake boats. If for some reason, your train coming up from Erstfeld was delayed (extremely unlikely), the train waiting in Göschenen would be held up so people could make the change. Believe me !

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    9 June 2018 at 20:47:53 #887717

You can see in the picture one of the snow sheds through which the spectacular line to Andermatt passes!

• The thread ‘Are 3 mins enough to change platforms at Göschenen’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.