Insects problem around Switzerland in summer?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 August 2018 at 21:24:48 #817885

Hello.

Travelling to Lake Geneva, Interlaken, Zermatt and Chur in the next week. Are biting insects an issue in this region? Ticks, mosquitos etc? Should I pack some insect repellent along with the sunscreen?

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 August 2018 at 15:15:49 #894219

Hi Junkmorejunk,

I’ve never had much of a problem with mosquitoes in Switzerland. But a good precaution to bring bug spray along. This year seems to be bad with wasps too.

Ticks are definitely a concern though in many places around Switzerland – so best to wear pants while hiking and be prepared for that.

Arno
    15471 posts
    15 August 2018 at 20:33:27 #894220

Hello Junkmorejunk,

In my experience it’s hard to predict if there will be many mosquitoes in any particular place. Even without nearby lakes there can be small pools that attract them. The higher you go the less of a problem they are, so Zermatt should be best, theoretically. But I’ve been staying at the lake front in the lowest area of Switzerland with warm weather without seeing a mosquito or fly for over a week. It was a big and pleasant surprise.

• The thread ‘Insects problem around Switzerland in summer?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.