Fare discounts around Mürren – Swiss Travel Pass

• lbeso
    Participant
    8 posts
    14 June 2018 at 23:42:00 #816649

We will be in Switzerland for 16 days in September, and I am working on travel costs. I used your excel spreadsheet to calculate costs for all of our travel, and think that the 15 day Swiss Travel Pass is our best bet. Although it is a little more expensive, it will make our life simpler. But I would appreciate if you could review the Mürren portion of our trip and let me know if my assumptions are correct for what is covered by the STP. I have studied the Areas of Validity map but it is sometime hard to figure out which towns are where !

Following are our planned excursions while in Mürren and how much I think is covered by STP:

1. Mürren to Schilthorn 100% by STP

2. Mürren to First 100% by STP

3. Mürren to Kleine Scheidegg or Männlichen It looks like Männlichen is 100% covered by STP, but if we go to KS, the leg from Wengen to KS is covered only 25% by STP ???

4. Mürren to other lifts ares in the valley area for hiking via lifts, e.g., Stechelberg 100% by STP

Many thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2018 at 6:51:35 #888323

Hi Ibeso and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Close!

1. Correct
    2. Free to Wengen (or to Grindelwald via Zweilütschinen). Any solid line is free.
      If you go to Wengen and take a cable car to Grindelwald it is 50% off (black dotted line) and from Grindelwald again it is 50% off on the cable car to First.
    3. Murren to Wengen is free and then the trip to Kleine Scheidegg is 25% off. The Männlichen cable car is 50% off
    4. Yes. So solid lines on the map (red, black, yellow) are free. dotted lines are 50% off except where you see the #1 in a circle – they are 25% off. Make sure to zoom in on the PDF validity map. It will be a little clearer but there is just so much many routes in tiny little Switzerland to fit on a map. 🙂

https://www.myswissalp s.com/swisstravelpass/ validity

JohnYorks
    Participant
    117 posts
    15 June 2018 at 10:43:47 #888324

The large cable car / gondola that links Lauterbrunnen with Grütschalp and the beginning of the short isolated railway to Mürren is marked in grey on the STC map, so it would be easy to assume that no discount is available. When I used it both ways on May 24th, however, I showed my pass and was told it was a ‘free day’. Very nice! Maybe it was because it was a Thursday, or slightly out of season, but there were plenty of people about.

The gondola risely steeply and offers fantastic views over the Lauterbrunnen Gorge, with Wengen perched high up on the other side. For those with an interest in the remarkable Swiss engineering, on the odd occasion that trains need to be transferred from the isolated Mürren stretch, the carriages are turned 90 degrees and attached to the underneath of the cable car by an impressive mechanism. The Mürren line is fully discounted with the STC, and the views over the Gorge are breathtaking. My carriage had pull down windows, so photography was easy.

Also available fully discounted is the short very stiff climb on the railway on the other side, between Lauterbrunnen and Wengen. This is well worth the trip. I was fascinated by the now abandoned original route, even steeper, that was replaced some years ago by extending the climb into a tunnel and curving sharply back on itself to reach Wengen.

John

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 June 2018 at 13:35:50 #888325

Hi John,

No its a black line to Grütschalp – so it is always free! 🙂

Are you still traveling or back home? How was the trip? If you find yourself with enough time we always appreciate a trip report from our members! 🙂 https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/tripreport s

JohnYorks
    Participant
    117 posts
    15 June 2018 at 14:07:17 #888326

Hi alucas

Just picked up your correction – thanks – and enquiry about my superannuated ‘Gap Month’. Weirdly, I’m sitting on a bus near Helmsley in rural Yorkshire about ten minutes from the end of my 29 day megatour, 20 of which were spent in just about every corner of Switzerland ( I need to check, but think I touched 24 of the 26 Cantons). It’s been a trip of a lifetime).

Yes, I plan to write up the trip for the forum. Thanks to the team for all the tips and advice – you made it so much easier, and the forum is so entertaining!,

John

• The thread ‘Fare discounts around Mürren – Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.