Are public washrooms in Switzerland paid?

• orangej
    Participant
    33 posts
    15 April 2023 at 15:31:13 #829579

Hi everyone,

I heard that some public washrooms have fees – how much does it usually cost if you need to use a washroom? Do they only take cash and if so how much (just to know what kind of change to prepare)?

Are there washrooms available in most places including hiking spots? I’ll be going to places like Mount Rigi, Harder Kulm, Lauterbrunnen Valley, Grindelwald First – so wasn’t sure about the accessibility to washrooms.

Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    15 April 2023 at 16:34:43 #953349

Hi orangej,

Most washrooms and toilets at train stations charge between CHF0.50 to CHF2. These usually only accept coins.

Tourist destinations such as Grindelwald First, Harder Kulm and Mount Rigi all provide free toilet facilities for visitors. If you plan to hike, be aware that toilet facilities are usually not available along the trail but at the start and end of the trail.

Regards,

Anna

EASW
    Participant
    122 posts
    15 April 2023 at 19:01:32 #953350

Hi orangej!

We always made sure to have some coins on us traveling around Switzerland last summer. Fortunately, we only ran across one train station that charged for use of the restrooms. We also made use of restrooms at cable car stations, restaurants, etc–all free. As far as hiking in the mountains, if there is a toilet available at the start of the trail, I would suggest using it. As Anna said, toilet facilities are generally not available on the trail and if they are, they are likely to be what we call in the states Port-A-Potties (ToiToi in Switzerland) and in questionable upkeep. 😨

Yolanda
    2363 posts
    16 April 2023 at 5:11:40 #953351

Thank so much for your input EASW.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

orangej
    Participant
    33 posts
    19 April 2023 at 1:24:32 #953352

Thanks everyone for your responses!

orangej
    Participant
    33 posts
    20 April 2023 at 2:27:08 #953353

By the way, are there water fountains at all of these tourist attractions? I heard the water is clean and drinkable so I assume it’s safe?

orangej
    Participant
    33 posts
    20 April 2023 at 2:28:08 #953354

Hi Yolanda,

Are there water fountains at all of these tourist attractions? I heard the water is clean and drinkable so I assume it’s safe?

Yolanda
    2363 posts
    20 April 2023 at 4:31:39 #953355

Hello orangej,

There are many water fountains in Switzerland. I can not guarantee they are in each and every location but you do see them very frequently. Should you see one in operation, the water is drinkable.

Kind regards,

Yolanda

• The thread ‘Are public washrooms in Switzerland paid?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.