Are scenic trains covered by Swiss Travel Pass?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    4 February 2018 at 20:40:13 #814251

I’ve just joined this website and am impressed with the great information provided. Thank you for those responsible. I’m presenting an itinerary for our trip. Bookings are completed for flights and accommodations. Would appreciate comments regarding the trains. Am I on the right track? Are the scenic trains costs included in the Swiss Travel Pass? or are they half price? Once I see the comments I will purchase the Swiss Travel Pass via Rail Europe.ca

My husband and I are travelling to Switzerland from Aug 29, 2018 to Sept 21, 2018 (includes 10 days in Switzerland). Will purchase a 8 day continuous Swiss travel pass. We are in our mid 60’s and are healthy and very active – mostly lots of walking.

Aug 29/18 arrive Lyon, spend 3 days. (recover from jetlag arriving overnight flight from Canada) and explore Lyon

Sept 2/18 Train from Lyon to Geneva (SNCF / TGV Lyria).

Sept 2/18 Train Geneva to Lausanne (Swiss Travel Pass), spend 4 days – planning on exploring and walking/hiking (Montreux- Chateau de Chillon, Gruyere)

Sept 6/18 Train from Lausanne (Swiss Travel Pass) take the Golden Pass Line to Lucerne spend 6 days – Mount Pilates, Mount Rigi, day trip to Interlaken?

Sept 12/18 Train from Lucerne (Swiss Travel Pass) take Gotthard Panorama Express train to Chiasso Italy. Local train to the town of Como where we spend 6 days to relax and explore. Not sure if Swiss Travel Pass covers total trip to Chiasso?

Sept 18/18 Train to Milan – 2 days – return home from Milan

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    5 February 2018 at 1:53:47 #875626

Hello Spunky2 and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

“Are the scenic trains costs included in the Swiss Travel Pass?”

I guess you mean the panoramic trains like the Golden Pass and the Gotthard Panorama Express? Yes they are covered by the Swiss Travel Pass but there is an additional reservation charge which is compulsory on the Gotthard and optional (but recommended at that time of year) on the Golden Pass line between Montreux and Zweissimen.

Think about staying in Montreux rather than Lausanne. Much nicer and on the edge of the lake.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2018 at 7:27:04 #875627

Hi Spunky2, welcome!

Reservations for the Golden Pass can be made here and for the Gotthard Panorama Express here.

I wouldn’t recommend a day trip to Interlaken. There is not a lot to see in this city. If the purpose is to visit the Jungfraujoch, you may want to consider staying two nights in Wengen or Grindelwald before going to Lucerne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 February 2018 at 16:08:06 #875628

Thank you both for taking the time for my post. Thank you so much rockoyster for your advice – will definitely opt for the reservation. Thank you Chantal for the links for the train reservations. I will also follow up on these. I will consider changing some of my reservations and take into account both your recommendations after some research. I love MySwissAlps website. Looking forward to seeing this beautiful country.

• The thread ‘Are scenic trains covered by Swiss Travel Pass?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.