Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Are there biting insects in Spring in Switzerland?

Are there biting insects in Spring in Switzerland?

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Timbertrail
Timbertrail
64 posts
Mar 5, 2020 - 12:43 PM

This is a very random question, but might prove useful to know. Here in the Adirondack Mountains of New York State we have "black flies" in the Spring and early Summer. They hatch in swiftly running water. Given similar climate and lots of running water in Switzerland, do the mountains have similar biting insects we should be aware of and bring bug repellent for?

Ildiko
Ildiko
949 posts
top member &
Mar 5, 2020 - 1:10 PM in reply to Timbertrail

Hi Timbertrail,

there aren't any insects like that because of the lakes or rivers, although near farms and cows you'll meet flies, for sure :)

I never had problems with mosquitoes in Switzerland.

Also read these: www.myswissalps.com/hiking/preparation and www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/are-insects-a-problem-around-the-lakes-in-summer.

Ildiko

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
7483 posts
expert
Mar 5, 2020 - 8:47 PM in reply to Timbertrail

Hi Timbertrrail -

I forget when you are traveling, but I have been in the countryside, around the lakes, and not so much in the Alps in April, May (a lot) , June, not July. A little bit of March some years ago.

The black flies which have bitten me extensively and intensively in western Massachusetts in May do not seem to exist in Switzerland. Never had any trouble. Regular flies, especially in the countryside...definitely. Since the Swiss tend not poison the environment with toxic sprays, the fly population can be quite dense in places....cows, farms, cows, cheese, and more cows, do attract flies.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Mar 5, 2020 - 8:48 PM by Slowpoke
Timbertrail
Timbertrail
64 posts
Mar 6, 2020 - 2:07 AM in reply to Slowpoke

Thanks Slopoke. Late May and early June travel dates. Western Mass black flies are same as we get here! Pesky little buggers and their bites give a lasting itch. Those dates are when ours are usually at their worst, too. I'll be sure to be packing some Deep Woods Off!! (just in case).

Last modified on Mar 6, 2020 - 2:09 AM by Timbertrail

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020