Are there biting insects in Spring in Switzerland?

• Timbertrail
    Participant
    73 posts
    5 March 2020 at 12:43:56 #825414

This is a very random question, but might prove useful to know. Here in the Adirondack Mountains of New York State we have “black flies” in the Spring and early Summer. They hatch in swiftly running water. Given similar climate and lots of running water in Switzerland, do the mountains have similar biting insects we should be aware of and bring bug repellent for?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 March 2020 at 13:10:56 #931153

Hi Timbertrail,

there aren’t any insects like that because of the lakes or rivers, although near farms and cows you’ll meet flies, for sure 🙂

I never had problems with mosquitoes in Switzerland.

Also read these: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/preparation and http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/are-insects-a-problem-around-the-lakes-in-summer.

Ildiko

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    5 March 2020 at 20:47:11 #931154

Hi Timbertrrail –

I forget when you are traveling, but I have been in the countryside, around the lakes, and not so much in the Alps in April, May (a lot) , June, not July. A little bit of March some years ago.

The black flies which have bitten me extensively and intensively in western Massachusetts in May do not seem to exist in Switzerland. Never had any trouble. Regular flies, especially in the countryside…definitely. Since the Swiss tend not poison the environment with toxic sprays, the fly population can be quite dense in places….cows, farms, cows, cheese, and more cows, do attract flies.

Slowpoke

Timbertrail
    Participant
    73 posts
    6 March 2020 at 2:07:30 #931155

Thanks Slopoke. Late May and early June travel dates. Western Mass black flies are same as we get here! Pesky little buggers and their bites give a lasting itch. Those dates are when ours are usually at their worst, too. I’ll be sure to be packing some Deep Woods Off!! (just in case).

• The thread ‘Are there biting insects in Spring in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.