Accessible attractions in Jungfrau region in May

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 November 2019 at 18:11:53 #824353

Hi all,

I am planning a 5 day trip Mid May with base in Wengen. The following is my itinerary. We have a 4 yr old and 10 yr old in the group. Can you let me know if it is worth and possible to visit these during Mid May?

Jungfrau

Grindelwald — Local hiking

Harder Kulm – Interlaken

Zermatt (Matterhorn)

Schiltorn – Trummelbach falls – Lauterbrunnen valley – Gimmelwald – Allmendhubel

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    2 November 2019 at 20:51:00 #924520

Hi hotlava,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

May is the start of the hiking season in most part of Switzerland. But it’s usually only in mid June that most mountain resorts and higher elevation trails will be accessible. This is especially the case in the Jungfrau region. The cable and mountain railways won’t be operational due to maintenance, and trails are not groomed or open until some time in June. During this period, I would suggest hiking around lakes and rivers and in the valleys. Trümmelbach Falls and Lauterbrunnen are safe options.

Popular mountain attractions such as Schilthorn, Jungfraujoch and Gornergrat (Zermatt) are open and accessible all year, just not the trails. Harder Kulm is usually accessible from mid April.

You can find plenty of hiking suggestions from this link: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king
    Please use the drop down menu to refine your seach.

Be sure to check out these links as you finalise your travel plans.

These links explain the various rail passes available if you are considering travelling by train.Children up to 5 years usually travel free and children 6 – 15 travel free with the Swiss Family Card (which is free if you get the Swiss Travel Pass).

Best regards,

Anna

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 November 2019 at 22:31:32 #924521

Hi Anna-

<<“Popular mountain attractions such as Schilthorn….are open and accessible all year, just not the trails.”>

Not true. Check your own website for these data:

http://www.myswissalps.com/sc hilthorn/gettingthere

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2019 at 4:53:21 #924522

Thanks a lot Anna and slowpoke for your prompt response. I have a question on Wengen stores. Do they have any stores for groceries if we decide to cook our meals? Any links to those stores would be really helpful.

Thanks again

Anna
    6382 posts
    3 November 2019 at 6:02:14 #924523

Hi again,

Yes, Slowpoke is right. Thank you Slowpoke for pointing it out.

The Schilthorn is indeed closed a few days in April 2020 and again a few weeks in Oct/Nov for scheduled maintenance.

Do check the timetable and plan ahead.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Best regards,

Anna

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    3 November 2019 at 7:38:57 #924524

Hi Hotlava-

<<“I have a question on Wengen stores. Do they have any stores for

groceries if we decide to cook our meals? Any links to those stores

would be really helpful.”>>

This bit of light reading will give you a thorough description of stores and a few other things in Wengen and the surroundings:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Some of the links are obsolete, but the information is sound.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 November 2019 at 9:03:23 #924525

Hello hotlava,

Thanks for your question!

You could certainly buy groceries in Wengen, and cook your own meals. Look into “Coop,” it is in Wengen and you can buy array of groceries, microwave meals, and take-away items. I find that the prices are not purposely marked up when they are in the tourist zone as well.

I also found a thread about restaurants in Wengen in case you are interested:

I hope that helps!

Best regards,

Suzanne

Annika
    7124 posts
    3 November 2019 at 15:07:12 #924526

Hi hotlava! Just a small addition to the good tips already provided: you can check the “Getting there” tabs of each of our attraction pages (http://www.myswissalps.com/ac tivities), as we list opening dates there. Also, the SBB timetable mentioned by Anna shows if a (mountain) route is accessible for your desired travel dates.

• The thread ‘Accessible attractions in Jungfrau region in May’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.