Are Victorinox Swiss Army knives good value

• Hudspith
    Participant
    71 posts
    6 August 2016 at 15:28:52 #809814

I have been looking around the shops in Interlaken and am thinking about buying a Victorinox knife as part of a Christmas present for a relative – having never bought one before I have no idea if the prices are value for money. A Huntsman model retails at about CHF39 and there are quite a few other models around the same price with slightly different features. Any input gratefully received – thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    6 August 2016 at 18:54:13 #854843

That is the best brand they are well made.

I used to prefer Wenger, for slightly different designs, particularly in the way the spring for the scissors was designed. However, they were bought by Victorinox.

Check the built in scissors. If the spring resembles a hairpin, it will break in time at the mounting point. If it has lever bracing one arm of the scissors ( Wenger design, possibly available from Victorinox now in some models) it is much more durable.

Slowpoke

Hudspith
    Participant
    71 posts
    7 August 2016 at 4:28:59 #854844

Thanks for the advice Slowpoke – the Huntsman design is 33CHF not 39 – will have a good look at what ever models I am interested in and will look out for Wenger if still available.

Off up Jungfrau today – and from our room in Interlaken the view is crystal clear and hope it stays that way – stunningly beautiful.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    7 August 2016 at 6:15:05 #854845

Hi Hudspith-

Glad you have clear weather. Take advantage of it; the weather can change quickly in the Alps.

Just be clear, you may well be able to find the “Wenger-type” design in a Victorinox knife. When I bought a few of my preferred Wenger model several years a go while they were still available, Victorinox was apparently starting to make such knives, but with the Victorinox name on them. If the store that you are looking at has an experienced clerk, they will likely remember the design feature.

I’d look at a knife that you like, and if it has the Victorinox “hairpin” design for the spring, I’d ask if the other design, that Wenger used to make, is available today.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    12 August 2016 at 16:27:45 #854846

Hi Hudspith –

I loked up the Huntsman.

It has the “hairpin” spring that is less preferred.

You may find this thread informative.

By the way, my Wenger knives have not had the problems noted in that thread. And, apparently it is possible to replace the “hairpin” spring in the Victorinox design.

And, I found this in the announcement from Victorinox when they shut down the Wenger brand in 2013:

<<“Victorinox said it will continue to operate the Wenger site in Delémont, with all knives being produced there rebranded under the Victorinox name.”>>

Finally. I looked at the entire Victorinox product line:

assets.victorinox.com/ medias/sak-product-catalog-en-us-2016.pdf?context=bWFzdGVyfHNha3 w3NDczMjg2fGFwcGxpY2F0 aW9uL3BkZnxoZWQvaDExLz g4MjU0NDY0OTgzMzQucGRm fGNiZGU2OGUzZGFjYjg3NT k4Zjc4OGM0YzkwMGRiMWRl MmVhYjIxMzdjNjNlYjQ2MD U1YjQxMTliZmFkYWFlOTc

Some of the knives feature a “lever design serrated ege” scissors, as in page 18 of the catalog. Tha is the old Wenger design.

Slowpoke

Hudspith
    Participant
    71 posts
    13 August 2016 at 20:15:56 #854847

Thank you Slowpoke – I found the “lever design serrated edge” scissors in a small shop near Luzern. Thank you for your advice and help 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    13 August 2016 at 21:58:34 #854848

Glad you found that feature in a model that you liked.

It is clearly a lot sturdier than the “hairpin spring

Slowpoke

Hudspith
    Participant
    71 posts
    14 August 2016 at 6:12:46 #854849

Thanks again for your help Slowpoke – as an added bonus I got a free small Swiss Army Knife as part of my trip on the William Tell Express so I have an unexpected present for myself. 🙂

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    14 August 2016 at 7:59:08 #854850

Don’t forget to put them in your checked luggage when you fly home.

Slowpoke

• The thread ‘Are Victorinox Swiss Army knives good value’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.