5 days Wengen + Montreux – thoughts on our plans?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 7:51:56 #817119

I would appreciate any help in helping us get the most out of our trip to Switzerland in August. We like gentle walks, great scenery ( who doesn’t?) and exploring something new.

Day one. We fly into Geneva (8 at night) after a 23 hour flight. We will get straight on the train and head to Montreux.

Day 2 Montreux- Walk to Chilean Castle, maybe a boat ride, train up to Rochers de Naye. I was keen on going to Marmot’s Paradise – would rather not if they are kept behind electric fences, perhaps I will hear or see one in the wild else where? I was hoping to look at some Alpine flowers too, but Instead maybe a walk through the vines. (Bit vague here!)

Day 3 To Wengen via Zweisimmen. The panoramic train, so we will book a seat.

Arrive about 2.30 so maybe a walk around Wengen, or check in, then down to Lauterbrunnen for a walk to the Falls

The other things are fluid- we will keep our eye on the weather.

We have 5nights in Wengen:

Wengen to Grindewald via Zwellutschinen. Gondola to First

Go to Jungraujoch – maybe Mannlichen Kleine Scheidegg walk first (I prefer the walk to Jungfraujoch)

Schilthorn –

Murren to Grutschalp walk after?

First Bachalpsee First walk

Lake Brienze boat and visit to Ballenberg outdoor museum

Thankyou

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 July 2018 at 8:05:35 #890397

Hello Mittens,

Here’s my favourite cut and paste recommendation . . . .

From Lauterbrunnen a very nice circuit to do is to Grütschalp (cable car), Mürren (train), Gimmelwald (cable car), Stechelberg (cable car), Lauterbrunnen (bus). From Mürren you can (ie must) visit Schiltorn if you have time. Also from Mürren the funicular to Allmendhubel is worth a go. In between Stechelberg and Lauterbrunnen the bus stops at the Trummelbach Falls. Well worth a look.

Bon voyage.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 8:17:02 #890398

I cut and pasted mine too. Just not very good at it! Have had great tips from you,the moderators, Alpenrose, Maggie Horsewell and others. Schilthorn! i thought if we were still breathing we could do the walk from Grutschalp to Murren afterwards.

I will cut and paste your tips.

Im not so keen on Jungfraujoch, the circuit from Grutschalp sounds like a go to me too,

Thankyou!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    6 July 2018 at 8:21:15 #890399

Quite right. Jungfraujoch is for tourists. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 16:06:49 #890400

Indeed sounds like a nice plan! You may luck out with those marmots..hard to say there.

I’m sure you will be kept busy with all there is to do in the Jungfrau Region! https://www.myswissalp s.com/jungfrauregion/a ctivities and I know you’ve read Kim’s definitive guide to the region. 🙂

I may have mentioned this to you on another thread but I can’t recall. But If you feel like getting out from the area, perhaps Blausee, Kandersteg and Lake Oeschinen are of interest as a day trip. I visited Blausee, Kandersteg and Brig last winter: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/blau see-and-brig-2-days-1-night

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    6 July 2018 at 22:07:59 #890401

Your trip sounded great. The train and spa especially….Maybe next time….There is so much to see. We decided to focus on the Wengen area. The information from everyone has been fantastic, it is a matter of linking it together….We will virtually slip through Geneve, have 2 nights in Montreux and then Wengen for 5 nights. After that, we hope to leave our luggage at the Luzern station and spend some time walking in Luzern, go to Zurich at around 5 and spend the night there before catching our flight the next day.

I know someone mentioned a gentle walk somewhere above Montreux that finishes at a small place starting with S??

I will go to the links on the Montreux area and dig a bit!

Thanks again.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    7 July 2018 at 7:56:21 #890402

Hmm I’m not sure on the walk. I know the walk along the waterfront promenade is quite popular. You can walk quite far if you like so that could be something to look at.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 17:00:17 #890403

Hello Mittens,

We visited Rochers-de-Naye a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot. The train journey is scenic. The marmots are behind fences – not electric ones so if you can tempt one to come close by holding out some clover through the fence as my daughter did you will get a good photo opportunity. Seeing them in the wild is a rare thing! There is also an Alpine Garden there worth visiting.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 22:49:43 #890404

Hello Maggie,

I was very tempted by Rochers de Naye, but I read on another travel site that the marmots were penned in by electric fences. So glad to hear that is not true. Are they on the endangered list in Switzerland? Do like the idea of the Alpine garden.

Thanks for sharing.

Mittens

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 1:14:10 #890405

For anyone whose itinerary suited a visit to Saas-Fee, that is a good place to view some marmots in the wild.

The main place is Spielboden:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/observing-and-feeding-marmots.html

The Saas-Fee–Spielboden–Längfluh cableway was being reconstructed when I was there, so I didn’t get up to Spielboden, but I saw a small colony of marmots on the Hannigalp above Saas-Fee.

For anyone interested, I have written a trip report about the Hannigalp, and included some photos of the marmots I saw up there:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/saas-fee-hannigalp

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 21:47:37 #890406

Those photos are amazing Alpenrose! Thank you for sharing.It looks just a bit too far for a day trip from Montreux or Wengen. Had we been exiting in Italy as we had originally planned it would have been doable.

Looks like we have to start planning for a future trip

Mittens

• The thread ‘5 days Wengen + Montreux – thoughts on our plans?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11030 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.