Are you safe? Civil protection in Switzerland

• Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    5 February 2020 at 22:32:52 #825122

There was another thread today about the annual test of sirens in Switzerland and so perhaps today is a good time to draw peoples’ attention to Alertswiss, a site managed by the Federal Office for Civil Protection (FOCP). Users can choose German, French, Italian, or English at the upper right of the home page. There is a map on this page, updated every ten seconds, which shows the location of any ongoing events, along with explanations of each.

Further down on the homepage, you will read the following message from alertswiss: “All relevant information pertaining to precautions and behaviour during disasters and emergencies in Switzerland are collected at alertswiss.ch. It is an information hub that can protect and save lives.”

Below that you will see a 1m32s YouTube video about the Alertswiss App, including how you can download this to your mobile phone. Not a bad idea for residents and visitors. If you watch the video on YouTube itself, you will see the following information: << Disaster can strike at any time. Luckily, there is Alertswiss, a mobile app developed by the Federal Office for Civil Protection to help you plan for and stay safe in an emergency. With Alertswiss, you receive alerts, warnings and information in real time. So that you always know exactly and immediately what action you need to take, the Alertswiss app sends you push notifications on the incident, including valuable tips and instructions on how best to protect yourself and your family.

In an emergency, you may find yourself confronted with questions you have never asked yourself before: How do I contact my friends and relatives? Where should I go? What do I need to take with me? An emergency plan will help you take swift and appropriate action should a hazardous situation arise.

So, what are you waiting for? Download the Alertswiss app now and be prepared should disaster strike. Stay safe! >>

• The thread ‘Are you safe? Civil protection in Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.