Hiking suggestions Bernese Oberland late June

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 February 2017 at 22:28:41 #810770

I am planning about a week of hiking in the Berner Oberland area, but need to know if it is good to arrive June 25th. Will trails be mostly open by then? Also, any recommendations for beating the crowds? Maybe starting the hikes early? Or maybe you have some suggestions for some off the beaten trail hikes to do in that area as well? Having never been to this area, I realize that the popular hikes are popular for good reason, and so I don’t want to miss those. But perhaps in addition I can go on some less traveled paths? Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 February 2017 at 9:49:08 #858837

Hi Indigojaq and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Late June should be just fine for hiking in the Bernese Oberland. First, I can link a few information pages you may find useful on our site:

Bernese Oberland: what not to miss, the towns, how to travel
    Hiking in the Swiss Alps information (with links for maps among other general information)
    Here’s a good page for activity suggestions and a list if hikes in the BO area.

I have no personal experience in the area for ‘off the beaten path’ trails but I am sure other members do and will chime in! 🙂

I hope that helps get you started!

Lucas

Arno
    15471 posts
    10 February 2017 at 18:01:26 #858838

Hi Indigojaq,

In late June you may just beat the largest crowds, but you will definitely not be alone. The Bernese Oberland is a large area. The Jungfrau Region is the most popular one. Other regions like the Simmen valley should be noticeably less crowded. An early start helps to avoid crowds, and longer and particularly more difficult trails will be quieter. All on average though. Sunny clear days will attract more people to all types of trails.

kim11
    Participant
    604 posts
    10 February 2017 at 23:34:04 #858839

Late June is a good time to visit the BO area, not too crowded.

For lots (50 pages) of detailed information on the region please see a document I’ve composed based on my (now) 19 trips to the region. Link at

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 February 2017 at 18:27:17 #858840

You expressed an interest in less busy trails so here is an idea for you!

As your trip is based in the Bernese Oberland, an unusual hike/walk can be made from Brienz, if you make your way there first. Take the Postbus from next to the rail station to Axalp (you can find bus times from sbb website). The bus ride is fun – twisty and narrow road.

Get off at the terminus and make a note of the times of return buses! Look for a carving of a hiker pointing to the trail to the left then simply follow that trail – it is called Schnitzerweg (German for carver way) – there are carvings all along the trail which leads down to a small lake. there are fine views over Brienz at the early part of the walk before it goes through the trees.

Students from the wood-carving college in Brienz did these carvings after a storm damaged a lot of the trees so they turned them into something beautiful/interesting.

It is not a difficult trail but will not be crowded and will certainly be a bit different! Take a camera to take photographs of the carvings. You return by the same route. There are two places to eat near the bus stop if you need refreshments before catching you bus back to Brienz.

Maggie

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2017 at 18:17:04 #858841

Thanks, Kim. This is supremely helpful. The section on hikes, especially. I will likely have questions for you as I get further in my plans! Thanks for taking the time to write it up and for directing me to it!

Arno
    15471 posts
    13 February 2017 at 19:06:25 #858842

I still have to do that one Maggie. Sounds like fun and a hidden gem.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2017 at 19:14:42 #858843

Great links and info, Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 February 2017 at 19:15:35 #858844

Since I’m an artist, I think I will especially like this hike! Thanks!

LeVoyageur
    Participant
    58 posts
    14 February 2017 at 2:47:30 #858845

Many thanks for this fabulous report Kim. It is very useful! We will spend 2 weeks in Wengen as a base to discover this marvellous region. Merci beaucoup!

• The thread ‘Hiking suggestions Bernese Oberland late June’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.