Arriving on 1 March “13, 4-5 days Switzerland plan

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 December 2012 at 7:52:10 #805713

Hi Guys,
    I and my partner are arriving early morning in Zurich on 1st March 2013. This will be our first trip to Swiss Alps.
    We plan to stay 4 days in Switzerland and then leave on 5 March.
    Our combined budget (for land) is about 1000 CHF.
    I did some research and found this itinerary to be suitable:
    1 March:
    Arrive in Zurich, Visit nearby Rhine Fall, Explore city, stay overnight in Zurich.

2 March:
    Take a train to Luzern/Lucrene.
    Take a boat ride to Rigi (optional)/
    Visit Mount Pilatus (optional)/
    Visit Mount titlis (optional)/
    Leave for Interlaken and head to Lauterbrunnen for overnight stay.

3 March:
    Boat ride to Berniez (optional)/
    Visit to Jungfrau (Optional)/
    Visit to Schilthorn(optional).
    On return see Trunnelback falls. Overnight stay in Lauterbrunnen/Interlaken.

4 March
    Head to Montreaux, on way see Geneva Lake. In Montreaux, visit the great castles.

5 March
    Head back to Zurich for flight.

Given there are many options to explore, some more expensive than others, can you please advice which ones to pick?
    Can you please also advice which particular EURO rail pass will be suitable for both of us?
    Thanks,
    Sunil

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    11 December 2012 at 7:25:06 #837818

Hi Sunil, welcome to MySwissAlps,

Your itinerary looks fine, but you’ll indeed need to make some choices. The weather is a factor that should be taken into account. The Titlis could be covered in clouds while the Pilatus is clear, so in such a case you would go to the Pilatus. It’s also a matter of personal preference and indeed pricing. Also, I would recommend to check opening hours (for example, the Trümmelbach falls are closed until early April). The timetable helps with that as well: just enter your destination and traveling date into the timetable to see all details. Mind the spelling of the locations though, or the timetable will not understand or suggest another location. It’s Brienz, Trümmelbach, Montreux. In the timetable, you’d enter the destinations Kleintitlis for Titlis and Jungfraujoch for the Jungfrau. The Jungfrau is expensive, but very impressive.

You may want to keep an eye on the Swiss Pass 4+1 offer. It seems to fit your plans very well. Boats and trains would be free with that pass. You’ll get discounts on mountain trips, but the Rigi is also free (could be a reason to pick that one).

I hope this answers your questions!

• The thread ‘Arriving on 1 March “13, 4-5 days Switzerland plan’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.