What is open in Switzerland, Ascension day May 30?

• jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    30 April 2019 at 18:10:32 #821338

I’m traveling to Switzerland at the end of May and visiting a friend and his wife for dinner. We usually meet on a Friday then go to a travel club meeting which has weekly speakers on various topics. My friend mentioned that Ascension Day is on a Thursday and there will be no club meeting because many members will be gone on an extended four day weekend.

Will Ascension Day affect restaurants and other public places? Could some touristy places be more crowded over that weekend with local Swiss travelers? I’m not worried about train travel.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 April 2019 at 18:58:59 #910991

Hello jlovda and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Ascention day is a public holiday in Switzerland and lots of local people do make a 4 day weekend out of it. So there might be some more people travelling, but not to an extent that will prevent you from visiting any destination.

In catholic cantons shops will be closed, but NOT other destinations such as museums or mountains.

As you don’t mention where you intend to go it’s hard giving more accurate input.

Nevertheless I hope this provides you with the information required.

Best,
    Steph

jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    30 April 2019 at 20:28:13 #910992

My eight day trip which I take every year is completely open. I just ride the trains, walk the streets and take a couple of mountain cable cars. What are the Catholic Cantons, mostly in the French and Italian regions? Would stores such as Coop and Migros (with their cafeterias) be open?

Thanks

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 May 2019 at 16:46:28 #910994

Hi again Jlovda,

The public holiday will restrict opening hours of places like Migros, however you can check all the opening hours on their website if you know where you’ll be: filialen.migros.ch/

I just saw that the closest Migros to us will be closed for example: Do, 30.05.2019 geschlossen (Auffahrt)

However in regards to restaurants and chalets in mountain areas these tend to be open on such public holidays, as generally locals will try to go hiking or travelling. So if you are in touristy areas you should not worry too much. However again, you can check each establishment where you are going by calling in advance when you are here.

Hope this helps and have a wonderful trip!

Maria.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 May 2019 at 17:18:07 #910995

Also, I think Shopville at Zürich main station will be open…as it is on Sundays for travelers.

Slowpoke

jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    2 May 2019 at 16:02:46 #910996

Thanks for the responses. I will just assume the Ascension Day holiday is like every other Sunday in Switzerland. Being a train photographer I wonder if freight will be sitting idle along the Gotthard corridor.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 May 2019 at 16:26:57 #910997

Hi Jlovda –

I assume you have seen the one-car railroad, since you have a connection with the Ostschweiz?

Slowpoke

jlovda
    Participant
    51 posts
    2 May 2019 at 17:03:33 #910998

Thanks Slowpoke:

I have not heard of that railroad. I will have to find it and take a ride.

….I just found it on Wikipedia. Bergbahn Rheineck–Walzenhausen; RhW. 1.2 miles long near St. Gallen. Looks interesting. Thanks for the tip.

John

• The thread ‘What is open in Switzerland, Ascension day May 30?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.