7 days of Switzerland photography based in Geneva

• Bsphoto22
    Participant
    27 posts
    30 June 2019 at 15:58:45 #822571

I am a 70 year-old gentleman and making my first trip to Switzerland and could use some help from experts. I will be staying in a Geneva hotel for 7 nights and have purchased a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass. How should I make the best use of my time? I am a professional photographer so I’m looking for the very best places to photograph and make lasting memories of my first visit. I definitely want to visit the Matterhorn! Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2019 at 22:59:32 #916528

I have been making day excursions from relatives in the Geneva area for 58 years – so it is certainly easy to do with a Swiss Travel Pass.

Start early enough from Geneva and you can get almost anywhere in Switzerland and back in 1 day due to the small size of the country – although the distance and complexity of the journey each day obviously dictates how much time you have at your destination for photography.

I would advise you not to ask ‘open questions’ such as ‘where should I go’, as it’s all down to personal preference. My advice is to research Switzerland in advance with a traditional whole country hard copy guide book and see where attracts you as somewhere to visit. Then simply use the online CFF* timetable planner to see how long it takes to get there from Geneva.

In the past I have travelled across the whole country as far as the eastern border and back in one day although that is a bit OTT and really just to say you’ve achieved it!

More realistically, some of the more obvious day trips I have done from Geneva in my time include:

Engelberg

Zermatt

Zurich

Chur

Andermatt

Luzern(easy one that – there is a direct IR service all the way)

Basel

Mürren

* CFF (not SBB) because you will be based in Suisse Romande!

http://www.sbb.ch/fr/home.htm l

A tip from an expert: you can get an out and back schedule on the CFF journey planner if you put Geneva to Geneva via XXX. (eg Geneva – Geneva via Zermatt). Add another via if you want to create a round trip schedule, eg Geneva to Geneva via Brig and Gstaad

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 July 2019 at 0:42:35 #916529

If you look at a map, you will see that Geneva is at the extreme southwestern corner of Switzerland. Without disagreeing in any way with 1960man, and noting that you can indeed base in Geneva, either Luzern or Interlaken( or village in the the Jungfrau Region) will give you much easier access to spectacular photo opportunities. They are more central locations.

However, almost everywhere you go in Switzerland, there are good photos. A few random travel souvenirs from mostly (but not completely) non-touristic places are attached.

By the way, as the Forum Rules request, please let us know when you are traveling. It can make a difference:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/rules

Slowpoke

pvonk
    Participant
    378 posts
    1 July 2019 at 14:24:11 #916530

Well, doing a rough check with the train schedules, going from Geneva to the Zermatt is about 4 hours. That and probably longer to any of the major points near the Matterhorn (you can’t actually go up the Matterhorn via train). Geneva to other high regions or near such regions in the East is 3 to 3.5 hrs each way at least. So you’re talking 6 to 8 hours of train rides per day. Thus it can be done, but at what cost?

If your base in Geneva is now locked in, you might consider locations in mid Switzerland (and unfortunately missing the high Alps). There is a certain ambiance in Switzerland. The chalets with their flower boxes at the windows. The cows with their bells. Public fountains. The Swiss flags that you can frame with lakes and/or mountains in the background on a bright, sunny day. Geneva is a place I spent time in as a boy, visiting my uncle and grandmother. The outdoor cafes, city parks, fountains, the bathing beach opposite the jet d’eau by the lake – there are a lot of photographic corners to it.

There are many quaint villages encircled by vineyards or farms along lake Geneva. Small town squares. Even cities like Lausanne provide opportunities for photographers.

Bsphoto22
    Participant
    27 posts
    1 July 2019 at 14:34:11 #916531

Thank you for the information (and the beautiful pictures!). I arrive in Geneva 7 August. My 4-day Swiss Travel Pass begins 9 August.

Barry

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 July 2019 at 16:21:25 #916532

Hi Barry – Thanks.

Glad you liked my evidence that Switzerland has diverse opportunities to create photographic reminders of a trip.

You will be joined by a lot of other tourists in August. Last minute rooms are harder to find then; that could affect any ideas above using a different base closer to the Jungfrau Region:

http://www.myswissalps.com/be rneseoberland

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

However, the high Alps, barring summer thunderstorms, will be wide open. Free of snow on high trails….an issue up to June and from late October and the winter. Some of the better sites for photography are best reached by foot.

This one gives unexcelled views of the famous North Face of the Eiger (unless you have some aerial capability):

http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king/maennlichen-kleinescheidegg

A few more random shots, mostly travel souvenirs, are attached.

<<“I am a professional photographer so I’m looking for the very best places

to photograph and make lasting memories of my first visit.”>>

Souvenirs don’t always have to be terrific compositions, as some of the attached files show, but you’ll find it hard to avoid good images, wherever you are.

The one from Wengen is bit over saturated….too enthusiastic with Photoshop. It was taken with my Mamiya 7-II on some variety of Ektachrome….probably EPP, long before digital cameras were suitable. I did not have haze-busting in Photoshop then, so I had to go back several times to get a clear day when the valley was clear and free of haze all the way to its end. Still it does draw you into it , hung on my wall at 36 by 24. (inches). That is a well known scene. It is taken from just below the westernmost church in Wengen,

map.search.ch/?pos=637062,161788&z=51 2&poi=kirche

by Ufem Biel, known for that view. I moved downhill a bit, to the place where the new and old cograil roadbeds diverge.

Nearer to Geneva, you might look into Rochers de Naye, close to Montreux:

http://www.myswissalps.com/mo ntreux

http://www.myswissalps.com/ro chersdenaye

I recall that Arno reported on a viost to Rocers de Naye, but I can’t fiind it atthis time.

Also, the towns on the way up, Glion and Caux have some nice views of the lake and tha mountains.

Another site in Western Switzerland that gets you up highenough t o see the Alps and the lakes is the Chasseral, mentioned way down in this usefuil thread:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/panoramic-cameras-in-switzerland

http://www.schweizmobil.ch/en /hiking-in-switzerland/services/p laces/ort-0383.html

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    1 July 2019 at 19:24:25 #916533

Here is an interesting site:

commons.wikimedia.org/ w/index.php?title=Special:ListFile s&dir=prev&user=WillYs +Fotowerkstatt

This retired gentleman has taken a photograph or 10 of a whole lot of photogenic places in Switzerland.

I have no idea how the site is organized,

I can say that his punchy photographic style becomes wearing to my eyes after I look at his pictures for a while. Nonetheless, browsing the site is fun. It might give you some clues about places to seek out…….maybe.

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    2 July 2019 at 6:26:43 #916534

Hello Barry,

I can give you loads of ideas, particularly for the French-speaking part of Switzerland. However, I figure I should start by asking if your hotel accommodations in Geneva are (to use Pvonk’s expression) “locked in”. Are you flying into Switzerland at Geneva ? Leaving as well ?

Even if you are locked into Geneva for your hotel, places I can mention that are in easy reach are the shore of Lake Geneva, particularly the area from Lausanne eastwards to Villeneuve, the Creux du Van on the border between the cantons of Vaud and Neuchâtel, la Tête du Ran, the Chasseral, the area along the west shores of Lac de Bienne (Bielersee), Morat and the Lac de Morat (Murtensee), Avenches, the city of Berne, Riggisberg, Lake Thoune (Thunersee), the Emmental, and, of course, the Lauterbrunnen valley as seen from Wengen.

Further from Geneva would be Lucerne and its lake (Vierwaldstättersee) and surrounding mountains, the city of Zürich, the Rheinfall, Stein am Rhein, and further still, the Toggenburg and Appenzell, and the Italian-speaking canton of Ticino.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 July 2019 at 8:57:13 #916535

Hi Peterli –

Let us refine the comment about La Côte and the northeast shore of Lake Geneva

http://www.region-du-leman.ch/en/GP77/la-cote-a-mini-switzerland

to note that the train ride from Montreux to Montbovon is quite scenic as you pass through the vineyards on the way up from the lake into the mountains. That is probably the best part of the Golden Pass route, and is the part that can include the train in which you ride in the absolute front of the front most car, looking out on the tracks ahead.

http://www.myswissalps.com/go ldenpass/gettingthere

Someone posted a really nice thread with photographs from the vantage point of those seats within the past 6 months or so, but I can’t find it with the search function…….maybe you or Arno or Annika can find it.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2019 at 12:55:07 #916536

Hi Slowpoke & Co,

Is this the thread you meant regarding the photos of the front seats?!
    http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/i-had-a-vip-front-seat-on-golden-pass-7-april-2019

I must be honest, I have the same issues finding threads as you do, Arno helped me in the background. 😉

Cheers,
    Steph

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 July 2019 at 13:12:29 #916537

Hi Steph-

You nailed it. (Or, Arno did….) 😉

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2019 at 14:05:14 #916538

Slowpoke,

Your photos are great.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 July 2019 at 14:32:44 #916539

Indeed – I have them mounted on the wall in sizes as great as 24 inches by 60 inches (the Trachselwald panorama). The greater onestill in the works can be 44 inches by about 8 or 10 or 12 feet…the panorama from Männlichen Gipfel. Still deciding how great to make it.

😉

Seriously, thanks….they make nice travel souvenirs.

Slowpoke

Bsphoto22
    Participant
    27 posts
    2 July 2019 at 16:14:54 #916540

If I am not yet locked in to hotel in Geneva, for my photographic trip where is the best town to stay nearest to the best areas in the Alps? Fly into Zurich?

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    2 July 2019 at 16:56:05 #916541

Hi Barry – Considering that you want to include Zermatt, the region near the Jungfrau will be the best compromise. You can day trip to Zermatt. You need a couple of days or more in a region to have the best chance for good weather.

For a stay such as yours, two bases would normally be the most we would recommend. You could stay in Zermatt and a village near the Jungfrau.

Another choice could be some where near Luzern, plus the Jungfrau region.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ju ngfrauregion

In the Jungfrau region, Interlaken is a compromise with not much (but some) scenery and excellent transport connections, while the nicest places…Wengen and Mürren, are less well connected to the rest of Switzerland…by about a 1 hour trip out to Interlaken, where you pick up mainline trains.

A lot of us really like Wengen:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

For the relations between those villages, this map is useful:

map.search.ch/?pos=639344,163824&z=32 &poi=bergbahn,zug

There are a few nice mountains not far from Luzern, too.

http://www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

<<“Fly into Zurich?”>>

For Luzern, definitely.

For the Jungfrau region, probably.

For Zermatt, probably ….about 3 1/2 hours from Zürich Airport, on some routes with as few as one change of trains.

From Geneva airport, about 4 hours, all with one chnageof trains….at Visp.

Slowpoke

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    2 July 2019 at 21:30:59 #916542

Hello again Barry,

In last post you said << If I am not yet locked in to hotel in Geneva, for my photographic trip where is the best town to stay nearest to the best areas in the Alps? Fly into Zurich? >> Does your “if” mean that you are not locked in ? Does it mean that you have made your reservations and you are thinking that these could be cancelled ?

If, for whatever reason, you are able to make your reservations elsewhere, then I think that would be a good idea. So far, you have only mentioned the Matterhorn as a place you want to see (and no doubt photograph).

In your initial post you said << I arrive in Geneva 7 August. My 4-day Swiss Travel Pass begins 9 August.>> Is your flight already booked and locked in ? If you can’t change your flights, then it’s kind of late to think about flying into Zürich, and you can make your plans with Day 1 starting in Geneva. This isn’t the end of the world, as it won’t take that much time to get to a new base.

Unless your sole purpose is to spend all of your time photographing mountains and then more mountains, I suggest that you consider either Berne or Lucerne for your base. Both of these are closer to the geographic centre of Switzerland and you can make easy connections to go in all directions from either. It all depends on where you want to go, and this is for you to decide (as 1960man suggested in his post on June 30).

Another thing I have noticed in your first post you mentioned 7 nights (in Geneva) and that you have purchased a 4-day Swiss Travel Pass. Had you concluded that this pass is the best idea for your stay ? A 4-day STP is currently CHF 281 and an 8-day one is CHF 418, only CHF 137 more for double the travel days. In both cases these are consecutive days. There is also a flex pass, for 4 days of (non-consecutive) travel in a month for CHF 323. The prices I have quoted are for 2nd class travel, which is just fine. Lastly, there is a 1/2 price card for CHF 120. But this all depends on where you want to go and what you want to do when you get there.

Annika
    7103 posts
    3 July 2019 at 5:18:23 #916543

I agree with Peterli that it makes sense to look into an 8 day Swiss Travel Pass instead, especially if you plan to travel during most days of your stay. Please find prices at myswissalps.com/swisst ravelpass/price, and check myswissalps.com/train/ ticketspasses/practica l/chooserailpass to find out which pass suits your finalized itinerary.

Bsphoto22
    Participant
    27 posts
    3 July 2019 at 15:19:48 #916544

Thank you all for such helpful advice! I will purchase the 8 day pass. How do I go about canceling my 4 day pass?

Annika
    7103 posts
    3 July 2019 at 16:05:36 #916545

Hi Barry,

Ah, I missed that you already bought your 4 day Swiss Travel Pass. In that case you’ll have to contact your retailer and see what they can do. In most cases they can’t fully refund passes that have already been purchased. You’ll have to calculate whether the cancellation fee is worth switching to the 8 day pass.

• The thread ‘7 days of Switzerland photography based in Geneva’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.