Swiss rail pass for a mixed car & train holiday

• Tripgirl2020
    Participant
    15 posts
    9 October 2019 at 16:12:46 #824133

Hello. First let me say I have read many threads, review, info pages regarding which passes to get. The more I read the more I get confused. We are traveling by car but going to Weggis( 3days), Zermatt(3 days), Grindelwald(4days). We plan on doing all the tourist things: Titlis, Matterhorn, First, Jungfraujoch, murren, wegan, schilthorn, ect. I want flexibility- so if the weather doesn’t cooperate or my body needs a break, we have the option to change plans. What would be the best pass for these requirements?? I really did look and research but this is soooo far out of my comfort zone lol. Thank you all for any help, guidance and most of all patience:))

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 October 2019 at 16:29:58 #923389

Hi Tripgirl2020 –

Welcome to My Swiss Alps!

When are you traveling? How many are you?

Forum Rules:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum

<<“Please provide enough information. For example: the question “What can I do in 7 days in Interlaken?” can be answered much better if you include some information about your interests, preferences, when you plan to travel, age of the travelers, etc.;

Spell location names correctly. There are many places in Switzerland with almost the same name, so you can easily confuse readers if you’re not spelling correctly;

Writing in capitals only is not allowed;

A clear thread title is more likely to get attention. For example: “How to find easy hiking trails near Interlaken?” is much better than “Info required”;”>>

It can make a difference in your travel patterns, and cost of car vs. train.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain

Slowpoke

Tripgirl2020
    Participant
    15 posts
    9 October 2019 at 16:36:20 #923390

Oh my goodness how did I forget that!! Sept 12-24, 2020. Also I should add that as much as I want to do some hiking, it really can not be planned as I’m handicapped and each day is different so I have to see how I feel that day:(( This is part of the reason I prefer car travel.

Again thank you for your time.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 October 2019 at 16:41:03 #923391

If you are travelling predominantly by car then I doubt anything other than a Swiss Half-fare Card would be any use to you. Then buy tickets on the day you decide you need them.

You can’t drive to Zermatt. You will need to leave your car at Tasch.

No need to stress. You have plenty of time to sort out your options.

I arrived in Switzerland 3 weeks ago intending to buy a Swiss Travel Pass Flex but ended up buying buying a Swiss Half-fare Card instead. Using the SBB mobile app it is super easy to check timetables and buy tickets on the fly.

Having said that, based on your personal itinerary you should read “How to choose the best travel pass” (http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/ticketspasses/prac tical/chooserailpass), download the handy spreadsheet calculator and do the math. The spreadsheet also includes links to the “Where it’s valid” page for all available passes. Be sure to check those pages for each pass you are considering. Study the map AND read all the text on those pages to fully understand what is covered by the respective pass.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    9 October 2019 at 17:17:21 #923392

<<Oh my goodness how did I forget that!! Sept 12-24, 2020.”>>

Nice time of year to travel. No snow on the mountain passes yet.

I just got back from a trip September 11-26. Super weather every day. Rained one night an early next AM.

Will you have companions to share the cost of a rental car?

Slowpoke

Tripgirl2020
    Participant
    15 posts
    9 October 2019 at 17:55:33 #923393

Thank you so much for your replies. Working on the calculator now:) I will be traveling with my husband, so no car spitting cost but it has been budgeted. We went to Iceland the last 2 years, so that trip had prepared us for sticker shock. Car and gas will actually be cheaper, then equal out once we factor in trains & cable cars.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 October 2019 at 18:02:20 #923394

Before you commit to car rental I hope you will take note of http://www.myswissalps.com/ca rversustrain.

Tripgirl2020
    Participant
    15 posts
    9 October 2019 at 18:23:27 #923395

Good read thank you. I’m still 85% sure of a car but it’s not 100%. I have mobility issues and need to travel with some equipment so waking to hotels with luggage will make it difficult. And I also must admit I find the public transportation link SSB mobile a bit overwhelming. I’m trying I really am.

Tripgirl2020
    Participant
    15 posts
    9 October 2019 at 18:27:25 #923396

If we do drive, we will definitely get a half card for sure.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    9 October 2019 at 18:31:35 #923397

Persist with the SBB mobile app. There is a tutorial mode and you have 12 months (almost) to practice. It really is an invaluable tool and well worth mastering.

Gunzel
    Participant
    241 posts
    9 October 2019 at 18:45:56 #923398

Another thing to consider is that not all hotels and tourist destinations in Switzerland are DDA compliant.

Many of the older hotels don’t have lifts/elevators.

Parking could be an issue at or near some of the tourist attractions.

But you have plenty of time to plan.

Paul in Australia

• The thread ‘Swiss rail pass for a mixed car & train holiday’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.