Are ATM machines common in Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2017 at 8:01:36 #864564

Hi Alpenrose

Yes, I actually booked Hotel Bellevue after reading Kim's report🙂 Luckily I booked room 308 which is facing a stunning view of Wengen and Lauterbrunnen. However I have to rearrange my booking in Grindelwald and Murren. I know most of you not recommend Grindelwald but I like the scene from the Jungfrau Lodge Hotel (see attached photo). Can you describe how tourist of Grindelwald so that I can reconsider my plan.

My 8 years old son and I shall stay in Jungfrau region for 6 days. Now I plan to stay in Murren, Grindelwald and Wengen for 2 nights each. Or skip Grindelwald, then 3 nights in Murren, 3 nights in Wengen. For Murren, I booked Hotel Alpina but they don’t have 3 nights now, only 2 nights is available. I am waiting reply from Hotel Alpenruh which is also recommended by Kim.

Here is my plan, feel free to give any suggestions and comments? I am wondering on Day 1, we shall miss the part from Brienz to Interlaken Ost on Goldpass Line, is this a pity? if so, I shall plan again.

Day 1: Luzern > Lungern > Meiringen: The Reichenbach Fall & Aare Gorge > Brienz > Cruise on Lake Brienz: Brienz to Interlaken Ost (visit Grandhotel Giessbach & Giessbach Falls) [Stay: Murren]

Day 2: Schilthorn / Hiking: Grutschalp > Winteregg > Murren > Gimmelwald > Stechelberg / Trummelbach Falls [Stay: Murren] (Swiss Pass Flex)

Day 3: Hiking: First > Bachalpsee > First / Toboggan at Pfingstegg / Alpenspielplatz Bort (kid’s playground) [Stay: Grindelwald] (Swiss Pass Flex)

Day 4: Blausee > Toboggan at Kandersteg > Oeschinensee (optional) > Cruise on Lake Thun: Spiez to Thun (visit Oberfohen) > Bus to Schloss Hunegg and Schloss Schadau [Stay: Grindelwald] (Swiss Pass Flex)

Day 5: Jungfraujoch / Hiking: Männlichen Summit > Kleine Scheidegg [Stay: Wengen] (Half Fare Card)

Day 6: Harder Kulm > Schynige Platte > Staubbach Fall [Stay: Wengen] (Swiss Pass Flex)

Day 7: Wengen > Gruyere (Golden Pass) [Stay: Gruyere] (Swiss Pass Flex)

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 June 2017 at 14:10:58 #864565

Hi Cecily-

The view from the Hotel Bellevue should be great, in keeping with the name.

The attached picture was taken from near the tracks, about half way between the Wengen main station and the Hotel Bellevue, and down hill about 20 meters altitude below the level of the hotel. It was taken close to the point where the new and the old ( now abandoned) tracks diverge.

I’ll caution you that Wengwald station is indeed close to the hotel, as they say on their website. Only about 200 meters in a straight line. However, it is about 70 meters below the hotel. The station is at 1182 meters above sea level.; the hotel at about 1250 meters. The mountainside is rather steep there. Tha is a bit of an uphill walk. The Swiss don’t seem to notice hills as much as I do when I’m walking. 😉

If you have significant baggage, you’d probably best get off at the main station and call for them to pick you up, unless they advise you differently. Although longer, the walk from the main station is easier, because it is much less steep. If you are not used to exercise at high altitudes, you may find that it takes you a couple of days to become acclimated. The air is a bit thinner there than near sea level. The effect is more noticeable if you go up to Männlichen, at about 2300 meters. When I climb to Männlichen Gipfel, another 100 meters above Männlichen, I pant a lot and have to pause to catch my breath.

Hope for good weather; the valley is often hazy and it took several trips before I got a really clear day for that picture.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 June 2017 at 16:11:56 #864566

Hi Slowpoke

Thanks for your advices! I actually forgot the altitude level may cause side effect on my son… We shall go to Luzern before Jungfrau and plan to visit Rigi, Piltaus and Titlis, hopefully he can get used to it.

I think Hotel Belleuve can pick my baggage at train station based on Kim’s report and Alpenrose sharing. I just checked google map, it takes 9 mins walk from train station to hotel, is this not correct? how much time for a normal walker?

Do you have any ideas on hotel in Murren? I am still waiting for Hotel Alpenruh’s reply.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    8 June 2017 at 16:41:01 #864567

<<” I just checked google map, it takes 9 mins walk from train station to hotel, is this not correct? how much time for a normal walker? Do you have any ideas on hotel in Murren? I am still waiting for Hotel Alpenruh’s reply. “>>

Hi Cecily. 10 minutes for a normal walker.

I always stay in Wengen, so I cannot help with Mürren.

Perhaps this can help?

http://www.myswissalps.com/mu rren/hotels

Slowpoke

Arno
    15471 posts
    8 June 2017 at 20:15:32 #864568

Hi Cecily,

If you have more questions about the region or hotels you might be better off posting those in a new thread, as this one was about ATM’s. Not everyone may notice the subject has changed here.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 June 2017 at 0:10:55 #864569

Hi Cecily,

>> However I have to rearrange my booking in Grindelwald and Murren. I know most of you not recommend Grindelwald but I like the scene from the Jungfrau Lodge Hotel (see attached photo). Can you describe how tourist of Grindelwald so that I can reconsider my plan.

I don’t really understand your last sentence. Would you be able to say it again in different words?

>> My 8 years old son and I shall stay in Jungfrau region for 6 days. Now I plan to stay in Murren, Grindelwald and Wengen for 2 nights each. Or skip Grindelwald, then 3 nights in Murren, 3 nights in Wengen

Changing hotels takes up a lot of time which could be better spent sightseeing. Personally, I would spend the whole 6 nights in Wengen, but if you want to stay in another location as well, I would choose either Grindelwald or Mürren, but not both. It is very easy to get around the Jungfrau Region, and while it might take a bit longer to get somewhere, e.g. Grindelwald to Mürren, every trip in this area is a scenic experience, not just a means of getting from A to B.

>> I am wondering on Day 1, we shall miss the part from Brienz to Interlaken Ost on Goldpass Line, is this a pity? if so, I shall plan again.

Day 1: Luzern > Lungern > Meiringen: The Reichenbach Fall & Aare Gorge > Brienz > Cruise on Lake Brienz: Brienz to Interlaken Ost (visit Grandhotel Giessbach & Giessbach Falls) [Stay: Murren]

If you are going from Brienz to Interlaken Ost by boat instead of train, you won’t miss anything, because the train travels along Lake Brienz from Brienz to Interlaken Ost. You will actually have better views from the boat, as you can see both sides of the lake and the surrounding mountains.

As for all the plans you have for this day, I don’t think you will manage to fit them all in. Have you planned everything out with the Swiss Timetable, and allowed enough time for each activity? What do you plan to do with your luggage?

Swiss Timetable

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

>> I think Hotel Belleuve can pick my baggage at train station based on Kim’s report and Alpenrose sharing. I just checked google map, it takes 9 mins walk from train station to hotel, is this not correct? how much time for a normal walker?

Yes, 10 minutes is about how long it takes to walk. The walk to and from the hotel is easy – fairly level from the station until you get close to the Hotel Schönegg, then a very short distance up a steepish hill, then down a very gradual slope to the Hotel Bellevue.

On your days of arrival and departure, the hotel will transport you and your luggage between the station and the hotel in a small yellow electric vehicle. You can ring them from the station. There is a special free phone at the station next to a large board with a list of hotels and their contact numbers.

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2017 at 5:06:31 #864570

Thanks Slowpoke

I decided to stay in Wengen for 6 nights, not changing hotel. 🙂 Here is my new thread, please feel free to give comment.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/comments-on-65-days-itinerary-in-jungfrau

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2017 at 5:09:04 #864571

Thanks Arno for your reminder, I have post my questions on new thread. Here is my new thread, please feel free to give your comment.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/comments-on-65-days-itinerary-in-jungfrau

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 June 2017 at 5:13:49 #864572

Dear Alpenrose,

Thank you for your advices. Yes, I agree it takes too much time in changing hotels, I shall stay in Wengen for 6 nights. I watched the Grindelwald video on youtube, I shall visit Grindelwald instead of staying here. Here is my new thread, please feel free to give your comments. Thank you.

Viewing 9 posts - 21 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • The thread ‘Are ATM machines common in Switzerland?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.