About us | Contact | n%2Fa | n%2Fa
Home Get in touch Forum August 1 holiday, closures Jungfrau region
MySwissAlps features ads, commercial and non-commercial links.

August 1 holiday, closures Jungfrau region

Print this page
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
Adrian R
Adrian R
3 posts
Jul 9, 2022 - 4:37 PM

We will be in Grindelwald on August 1 and just learned it is a national holiday. The excursion to Jungfrauhoch is dependent on weather the week we’re there. What type of closures (trains, gondola, buses, venues…) should we expect for August 1?

Anna
Anna
3881 posts
expert &
Jul 9, 2022 - 7:39 PM in reply to Adrian R

Hi Adrian R,

August 1 is Swiss National Day. The will be festivities and celebrations in major towns so most public and mountain transportation will operate as usual with maybe slight deviations in the schedules. Any changes should be reflected in the timetable.

There is a National Day celebration in Wengen on that day if you're interested: wengen.swiss/en/summer/product/event/1st-august-national-celebration-day-2/

Regards,

Anna

1960man
1960man
4331 posts
expert
Jul 9, 2022 - 9:54 PM in reply to Adrian R

Swiss National Day is a public holiday, so public transport will operate to the 'Sundays and public holidays' timetable. This rarely affects anything other than city commuter-related peak hour extras.

You should enjoy the festivities, which include fireworks, food and drink parties etc.

The national day was discussed extensively on this forum a few years ago, perhaps the moderators could find and reactivate it.

Arno
Arno
15661 posts
expert &
Jul 10, 2022 - 10:52 AM in reply to 1960man

Hi 1960man,

There have been several threads about August 1 in previous years, so I'm not sure which one you have in mind. Threads can be found by entering "August 1" in the search box on top of each page.

Last modified on Jul 10, 2022 - 6:35 PM by Arno
1960man
1960man
4331 posts
expert
Jul 10, 2022 - 10:20 PM in reply to Arno

It was a thread where I talked about the soup jugs we used to get at the party in Meyrin - I saved the one from Aug 1 1969 from my late parents' house

Arno
Arno
15661 posts
expert &
Jul 12, 2022 - 9:15 AM in reply to 1960man

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More

Who's MySwissAlps.com?
We're passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about planning a trip to Switzerland since 2002.
More about usNewsletter signup

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2022