August 1 holiday, closures Jungfrau region

• Adrian_R
    Participant
    3 posts
    9 July 2022 at 16:37:04 #827725

We will be in Grindelwald on August 1 and just learned it is a national holiday. The excursion to Jungfrauhoch is dependent on weather the week we’re there. What type of closures (trains, gondola, buses, venues…) should we expect for August 1?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6362 posts
    9 July 2022 at 19:39:40 #944116

Hi Adrian R,

August 1 is Swiss National Day. The will be festivities and celebrations in major towns so most public and mountain transportation will operate as usual with maybe slight deviations in the schedules. Any changes should be reflected in the timetable.

There is a National Day celebration in Wengen on that day if you’re interested: wengen.swiss/en/summer/product/event/1st-august-national-celebration-day-2/

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2022 at 21:54:41 #944117

Swiss National Day is a public holiday, so public transport will operate to the ‘Sundays and public holidays’ timetable. This rarely affects anything other than city commuter-related peak hour extras.

You should enjoy the festivities, which include fireworks, food and drink parties etc.

The national day was discussed extensively on this forum a few years ago, perhaps the moderators could find and reactivate it.

Arno
    15483 posts
    10 July 2022 at 10:52:28 #944118

Hi 1960man,

There have been several threads about August 1 in previous years, so I’m not sure which one you have in mind. Threads can be found by entering “August 1” in the search box on top of each page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2022 at 22:20:02 #944119

It was a thread where I talked about the soup jugs we used to get at the party in Meyrin – I saved the one from Aug 1 1969 from my late parents’ house

Arno
    15483 posts
  • The thread ‘August 1 holiday, closures Jungfrau region’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.