Swiss trip in Aug/Sept with 2 toddlers

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 15:55:33 #815386

We are traveling with 2 toddlers at the end of august into the first 2 weeks of September we will have likely a child carrier for hiking for the smallest of the 2

Our plan is

Paris to Bern (overnight)

Bern to Wengen (5 nights)

-trummelbach falls

-Schilthorn

-Beatus caves

-murren day trip for childrens adventure trail

Wengen to Zermatt (2 nights)

Matterhorn hike appropriate for kids–suggestions welcome

Zermatt to Lucerne (5 nights)

titlis

lake cruise

natural history museum

boat rental?

child friendly hike suggestions welcome

Lucerne to Austria with cities undecided (5-6 nights?)

Is this a good itinerary? We plan to travel by rail…suggestions and guidance would be amazing. Any must dos along our route? Zermatt we would like a hotel that is in the 300-350chf range a night with a pool for the kids and a view for us at naps. any ones that stand out?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 17:50:26 #882517

Hi Travelmama, and welcome to MySwissAlps,

The itinerary looks ok. When you travel to Zermatt you may want to look at which scenic train rides you would like to do. On the way to Zermatt you could take the Golden Pass and even consider spending a night in Montreux. You can download a map here which has on the second page an overview of the panoramic routes.

For hikes I would like to refer you to the information on our webpage here: http://www.myswissalps.com/hi king.

We have listed some hotels in Zermatt which you can find here.

In order to know which rail pass is most economical for your itinerary you will need to plan out all your specific trips and compare prices of tickets vs. different passes. We have a web page on how to choose the best rail pass to help you with the math.

You may want to read the information on the following webpages as well:

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 April 2018 at 23:06:21 #882518

In Zermatt, the walks on the Gornergrat itself are fairly gentle, a bit steeper to and from the village but you can do that part by train. Do not miss the train up to the Gornergrat with constant views of the Matterhorn.

One question – Have you taken your toddlers to high altitudes before? Just be aware that they (and you ) might possibly be affected by the rarified air.

A lower altitude walk with good views of the Matterhorn is Zermatt – Zmutt (which also get you away from the crowds)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 1:47:50 #882519

Thank you.For the tips

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 1:49:26 #882520

I didn’t consider the altitude for the kids. My husband and I hiked in Peru without issue.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 2:58:42 #882521

>> We are traveling with 2 toddlers at the end of august into the first 2 weeks of September … Bern to Wengen (5 nights)

There are many children’s playgrounds in scenic locations. One of them is above Wengen at Männlichen (photos attached).

>> -trummelbach falls

Children under 4 years of age can’t be taken to the Trümmelbach Falls unfortunately. Please see information on the following page by hovering your mouse over the symbol of a woman with a pram, which will bring up the following message:

Due to the increased saftey risk, it is not permitted to take babies or children under 4 years of age to the Trümmelbach waterfalls. Please understand that parents may be asked about their child’s age and entry may be refused if necessary. This also applies to infants in pushchairs and slings.

truemmelbachfaelle.ch/ e/information_anreise. html

You could of course take it in turns, with one of you staying outside with any children under 4.

>> Lucerne to Austria with cities undecided (5-6 nights?)

You could consider spending 2-3 nights in Innsbruck. Please note that detailed discussion of Innsbruck is off-topic for this forum 😉

http://www.innsbruck.info/en/

>> Zermatt we would like a … pool for the kids

If you can’t find a hotel that has a pool as well as meeting your other requirements, you might find the information on this page useful:

http://www.zermatt.ch/en/well ness/1/Indoor-swimming-pools

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 3:02:43 #882522

>> I didn’t consider the altitude for the kids.

This information is from the Jungfrau website:

Infants in the first 2 years of life should not sleep at higher than 2500 metres. Short-term stays at the Jungfraujoch are unproblematic. Infants and young children are often unable to equalise pressure during descent and are therefore increasingly at risk of ear irritation. Regular swallowing (drinking, sucking on a bottle) during the descent can prevent the occurrence of irritation. Because children can chill faster than adults, always pay attention to sufficient protection from the cold at high altitude. Sunglasses and good sunscreen are necessary on the glacier!

http://www.jungfrau.ch/en-gb/faq/medical-tips/

(Look under the heading If in doubt, please consult your doctor in advance)

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 11:37:57 #882523

ALL This information is extremely useful! My children are very aware of what eachother do so I think we will skip the falls to avoid an unpleasant experience for our 2 year old. Ill consult the doctor on altitude for sure. The kids have patagonias down sweater jackets …in september would that be enough? The pool information is also so helpful. This is a big worry given i know we will have the morning to play but afternoons are usually sketchy with the wee ones.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    18 April 2018 at 23:10:10 #882524

Re Zermatt

A very convenient hotel is the Ambassador right next to the railway station. It has a pool but looks to be pretty booked up for your dates (I tried Booking.com)

In fact all the mid-range hotels with pools in Zermatt look pretty booked up for your dates.

Re boat hire in Luzern

Having done rowing boat hire very cheaply in Norway I investigated the Swiss lakes, but it seems the Swiss keep their small leisure boats to themselves. I think I found one rental on the Vierwaldstättersee, but it was prohibitively expensive. There may be localised places with pedalos that I haven’t found (although I know there is one at Brienz on Lake Brienz)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 6:17:13 #882525

So far, all the Swiss lakes I’ve visited (larger ones) all have pedal boats to rent for couples and sometimes bigger for a family of 4 (some have a slide on it!)

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 April 2018 at 23:56:42 #882526

>> The kids have patagonias down sweater jackets …in september would that be enough?

Yes, it’s good to be prepared for chilly weather, but it could also be mild in September.

There is information about weather at high altitudes in September here:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/winter-clothing-in-september

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 April 2018 at 10:36:55 #882527

Thank you!

• The thread ‘Swiss trip in Aug/Sept with 2 toddlers’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.