August travel to Lauterbrunnen/Lavertezzo

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 3:54:18 #817167

Hello! I’m traveling to Switzerland with my son in mid August. We arrive in Frankfurt, Germany and plan to go straight to Lauterbrunnen for 2 nights then possibly the Lavertezzo area for 1 night. We will then travel to Hallstatt, Austria. We love easy hikes and just are mainly looking for beautiful scenery. We were definitely struck by the beautiful Verzasca River and Staubbach Falls. Any info on best ways to travel to these places or any other must see places in our short time(only 1 week).

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 5:02:07 #890804

Consider taking gondola to Murren then hike to Gimmelwald then take gondola down to Stechelberg then a beautiful 3 mile walk back to Lauterbrunnen.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 19:31:22 #890805

Hi mimi2mia and welcome to MySwissAlps!

There are lots of nice hikes around Lauterbrunnen for sure. We list quite a few here and have details on length and difficulty etc as well: https://www.myswissalp s.com/lauterbrunnen/ac tivities

As for getting to the Verzasca river, Locarno or Ascona would be the best town I think to base yourself at but you could find something even closer are the bridge as well. Using public transport isn’t terribly fast (buses don’t run too frequently) but it can be done of course!

You can use the timetable to plan trips everywhere. To the Bridge on the Verzasca river the bus stop is “Lavertezzo, Ai Poss”.

From Lauterbrunnen to Locarno you can take a very scenic route via Kandersteg, Brig and Domodossola. The last section, between Domodossola and Locarno is the Centovalli Express route which I wrote about here on a recent trip: https://www.myswissalp s.com/forum/topic/tici no-region-trip-march-31-april-2

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 20:09:41 #890806

That sounds awesome. Thanks!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 6:27:42 #890807

I stand corrected. The bus stop, Lavertezzo, Paese is a little closer to the bridge which is most people’s destination.

On the way you can also stop at the dam for Lago di Vogorno. From James Bond “Golden Eye” Even if you don’t Bungy Jump it is pretty cool to see.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 14:03:23 #890808

That sounds like a definite must see since we are James Bond fans. I’m beginning to think that we may just need to rent a car since we are starting in Frankfurt Germany and ending in Austria then back to Frankfurt. It seems like it will be a lot of train changes and Bus stop waiting. Thoughts?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    11 July 2018 at 14:38:44 #890809

It could be simpler for you for the trip as a whole yes. It depends on your plans in Austria as well.

The towns near Lauterbrunnen are car-free so for those two days, after you arrive in Lauterbrunnen, you must travel by bus, train or cable car.

Arno
    15484 posts
    12 July 2018 at 18:15:42 #890810

A car could be simpler especially if you want to make two stops in that valley. The buses are fine but their schedule is limited so you need to keep an eye on that.

In all the car may not be quicker depending on travel dates and times. Traffic jams at the Gotthard can cause waiting times up to 4 hours. High speed trains do that same section in 20 minutes 🙂 This is worst case, but be prepared for it, or be flexible to avoid the peak hours.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 July 2018 at 1:21:25 #890811

Thanks. We would rather do the trains and buses I think. We are just trying to pack in a lot in a little time, so didn’t want to spend so much time traveling.

• The thread ‘August travel to Lauterbrunnen/Lavertezzo’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.