Austria saver pass or 2 country Eurail pass…

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2012 at 2:59:14 #804963

Hi,
    I am travelling to Switzerland & Austria in April. My plan is as follows:
    19th – Arrive in Zurich late evening and checkin.
    20th & 21st Zermatt
    22nd Lucern
    23rd, 24th & 25th Interlaken
    26th Interlaken to Lausanne by scenic route
    27th By train from Lausanne to Zurich HB and then onto Salzburg, Austria
    28th & 29th Salzburg
    30th Return from Salzburg to Zurich by noon. Sightseeing around Zurich. Late evening to airport and fly out.

I see that I can by two 4-day saver passes (buy 2 for the price of 1) to cover 20th to 23rd and then 24th to 27th. Then I have some travel in Switzerland only on 30th.
    So the questions I have:
    1. Should I buy a third 4-day saver pass for Switzerland and also a 4 days saver pass for Austria? or
    2. Should I buy only a 4 day two country Eurail pass for 27th to 30th and not buy a third 4-day saver pass for Switzerland?

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7116 posts
    20 February 2012 at 10:42:08 #835011

Hello Arvjos, and welcome! The 2 for 1 offer on the Swiss Saver Pass is a great option in your case indeed (provided you’ll be traveling with someone else). With two such offers you’ll cover nearly all your traveling up to April 27th. As for the remaining part of your stay: the trip Austrian/Swiss border-Zurich Airport isn’t expensive enough to buy a 3rd 4 day Swiss Saver Pass offer. You can best buy a regular ticket for this trip. Whether a rail pass for Austria is worth your money, depends on how much traveling you intend to do. If you plan to stay in or near Salzburg, I guess a pass would be too expensive. You can use the Austrian rail website to check prices for the trips you have in mind, and then compare the costs of a rail pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2012 at 0:08:01 #835012

Hi Annika,
    Thank you for the detailed reply. The reason I had posted that query is that when I looked for Zurich-Salzburg-Zurich point-to-point ticket, I am getting a quote online of CHF 214 for 2nd class for the 2 of us. (Is this about right or am I not looking at the right place?). This excludes local travel in and around Salzburg as well as my travel within Zurich on last day (bus / tram) and finally from Zurich HB to Zurich airport. We might also make a trip to Vienna or Innsbruck if time permits. Against that I get a 4-day Swisssaver pass (buy one get one free) at CHF 226 and 2 4-day Austria passes cost CHF 275.

Annika
    7116 posts
    21 February 2012 at 12:06:01 #835013

Hello arvjos! I think I understand the way you calculate. But please mind that the 4 day Swiss Saver Pass is only valid for the Swiss leg of your trip from Salzburg to Zurich Airport. So comparing quotes for the trip Zurich-Salzburg-Zurich, which includes a long leg in Austria, versus a Swiss Saver Pass which is only valid for Switzerland, isn’t a good comparison. This Swiss leg (Buchs-Zurich Airport) only costs CHF 38 per person, which is CHF 76 for two adults, whereas a third 4 day Swiss Saver Pass offer would cost CHF 226. So you’re better off buying regular tickets for this part of the trip instead of yet another 4 day Swiss Saver Pass. If you like, you can use a ZurichCard for the last few trips you want to make in Zurich. I hope I’m able to explain this clearly… 🙂 Does it help you out?

The Austria pass may indeed be a good option for your days spent in Austria, including the Austrian leg of the trip Zurich-Salzburg-Zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2012 at 23:42:23 #835014

Hi Annika,
    Thank you very much for the information about ZurichCard. It does look like what you have suggested will work best for me.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 February 2012 at 7:41:26 #835015

Can I use 2-country 1st Class Saver (Switzerland-Austria) pass for the following journeys?
    1. Zurich Airport-Zurich HB-Zermatt
    2. Wilderswil-Interlaken OST-Bern
    3. Lucerne-Basel-Lucerne
    4. Montreux-Zweisimmen-Interlaken OST-Wolderswil-Trummelbach falls / Gimmelwald. Only buy reservation for Montruex-Zweisimmen route.

I believe we will be using trains only for the above. No buses, trams, or boats.

Annika
    7116 posts
    1 March 2012 at 11:53:48 #835016

Hello Arvjos! Please refer to the Eurail Austria-Switzerland Pass page for all specifics, including a link to a map showing the exact area of validity. Most trips are by train indeed, except the last leg to the Trümmelbach falls and Gimmelwald. The timetable will provide details on each of your trips.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2012 at 2:06:43 #835017

I saw the map. Hoever, all my queries are not answered. In each of the journeys I mentioned a section is shown as dashed or dotted.

1. Zurich Airport-Zurich HB-Zermatt: Reichenbag to Visp is shown as dashed. Visp to Zermatt is shown as dotted.
    2. Wilderswil-Interlaken OST-Bern: Wilderswil to Interlaken OST is shown dotted.
    3. Lucerne-Basel-Lucerne: Olten to Gelterkinden is shown as dashed.
    4. Montreux-Zweisimmen-Interlaken OST-Wilderswil-Trummelbach falls / Gimmelwald: Interlaken onwards it is shown as dotted.

As per the map dotted means lines with discount. However, this means the journey is not fully covered by EU Rail pass? For example, I have to buy discounted ticket from Visp to Zermatt. Same for Interlaken onwards trips.

What do dashes represent?

On more relevant question, as we will be in Switzerland for 12 days, what are the options to get the laundry done at least once? I have heard that getting it done in hotels is one option but it is so expensive that it is cheaper to buy new clothes. Anyway, how and where do I find laundromats where you have coin machines where one can do their own laundry in 2-3 hours?

Annika
    7116 posts
    3 March 2012 at 6:54:15 #835018

Hi Arvjos! Dotted lines are discounted and this means they’re not fully covered. Discounts may vary. Please refer to the official Eurail website for an overview. Dashes lines represent tunnels.

Laundry services can be found in several towns. You can best get to the tourist websites of the towns you’ll be staying in for addresses and contact information.

• The thread ‘Austria saver pass or 2 country Eurail pass…’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.