Austria to Switzerland – rail pass suggestions

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 19:10:38 #814371

Hi There-

I am trying to figure out if the Swiss Rail Pass would cover a train trip from Salzburg, Austria to Chur, Switzerland.

If you have a rail pass of some kind (euro-rail or Swiss Rail pass) is your train covered coming into Switzerland?

Thank you for your suggestions,

Caitlin

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    15 February 2018 at 19:28:21 #876349

Hi Caitlin and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I think you are talking about the Swiss Travel Pass? It only covers trips within Switzerland. You would have to buy a ticket from Salzburg to the Swiss border (normally Buchs SG is the town).

A Eurail Pass (Eurail Select Pass or Eurail Global Pass) would cover the entire trip; but depending on your use of trains in Switzerland you might be better off with a ticket to Switzerland and then the Swiss Travel Pass or other Swiss rail system pass ( as they provide better coverage within Switzerland).

Use our web page on how to choose the best rail pass to help you decide (once you have all your trips planned out).

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    16 February 2018 at 0:06:45 #876350

You can buy a ticket from Salzburg to Chur using the Swiss Train Timetable (http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable). The process will give you an option to claim a reduction on the Swiss leg of the journey. If you have a Swiss Travel Pass that leg will be free as Lucas noted. You will need to choose the GA 1. class or GA 2. class a reduction depending on whether you have a 1st or 2nd class pass.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 14:16:08 #876351

Thank you both for your replies, they are so incredibly helpful!

Yes, I am talking about the Swiss Travel Pass (sorry so many different options I am getting them mixed up). This is just the information I needed! We are flying into Salzburg Austria and taking a day trip to Hallstatt. After that we take a train straight to Chur and then will be visiting the following cities:

Chur to Zermatt via the Glacier Express (Which I found in my research is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass, is that correct)?

Zermatt to Lauterbrunnen

Lauterbrunnen to Grindelwald

Grindelwald to Lucerne

Lucerne to Zurich where we fly out

We will be doing as many mountain trains and cable car rides we can (including a boat trip on lake Lucerne) that I understand are all separate costs however with the Swiss Travel pass there are pretty significant discounts. Based on this information would you agree that we should purchase a Swiss Travel Pass over EuroRail pass (2 country)?

Thank you again for all your help,

Caitlin

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 February 2018 at 15:36:10 #876352

Yes, the Swiss Travel Pass is a better option if your only train trip in Austria is Salzburg to Hallstatt and then on to Chur.

The Glacier Express is covered by the Swiss Travel Pass but not the mandatory reservation.

You can see which routes are covered with the PDF map noted here. Below the map link is a list of major attractions that are either fully or partially covered by the Swiss Travel Pass.

• The thread ‘Austria to Switzerland – rail pass suggestions’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.