Authentic Swiss alpine villages

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 February 2020 at 15:05:29 #825299

Anybody knows of any unspoilt / surviving true authentic alpine communities? Especially in the french, italian and romansche linguistic regions, since the multiple (very touristic) mountain villages I have read of are all german speaking.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6382 posts
    21 February 2020 at 18:10:03 #930545

Hi Paulus,

I assume the canton of Graubünden would have numerous authentic Romansh-speaking mountain villages.

http://www.myswissalps.com/graubunden

http://www.graubuenden.ch/en/experience-graubunden/mountain-villages

Regards,

Anna

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    22 February 2020 at 6:03:34 #930546

For the French speaking part of Switzerland, I would suggest some of the remote valleys in the Valais. My uncle and aunt used to always go to Evolène (south of Sion) for that very reason,

For the Italian speaking part of Switzerland, take a look at the valleys to the north of Lago Maggiore, such as the Valle Maggia and Bavona and the Val Verzasca, and probably the further north in these, the better. Also, further to the east, the Val Calanza.

My suggestion, find these valleys on Google Maps, note the names of some of the villages you see, and then google the names of these villages. As an example, if you google “Evolène, Suisse”, part of what you will read is the following: The official language is French, but the locals, both young and old, still use a variety of Arpitan (also known as “Franco-Provençal” or “Romand”) for oral communication. Evolène is one of the last strongholds of the Arpitan language across its historical domain. However, as children are schooled in French only, only about a third of all children regularly use their regional language among themselves. All the same, Arpitan is still spoken spontaneously by people of all ages, which means that the language is alive and well, something which is very uncommon in Swiss Romandie.

You might enjoy this video about learning Patois in Evolène: youtu.be/kI6pmWBSUWI

Arno
    15484 posts
    22 February 2020 at 8:43:53 #930547

Hi Paulus,

There are lots of authentic villages with unspoiled architecture and no big tourist attractions. However, all of them have been discovered and there will be tourists, though not many if you’re lucky. Peterli suggested the Val Verzasca, which is good option. Here’s a nice walk starting at the most famous bridge there: http://www.myswissalps.com/hiking/lavertezzo-ganne. More here: http://www.myswissalps.com/ticino.

Some other villages that came to mind:

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    22 February 2020 at 23:26:47 #930548

Hi Paul –

<<“Anybody knows of any unspoilt / surviving true authentic alpine communities? “>>

I’ve been puzzling quite a bit over your query.

Peterli has mentioned the areas I was thinking of. In particular, in the valleys in the Ticino, where most residents have left long ago. Some decades ago, some went to California, where they made Italian Swiss Colony wine, for example:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_Swiss_Colony_(wine)

Today, the first ones that I have thought of meet all of the requirements except “surviving.” If they are truly authentic to the status of a century ago, they are mostly dead.

I do recall reading of a village…probably in the Val Vercasca..with about 10 (+/-) residents – the number 7 sticks in my mind – that was being kept open by main force and efforts of one inhabitant….

On the other hand, the word authentic should truly be could be taken to mean any Swiss village. The highly effective transport system has made it practical for villagers to commute some distance to work, but also to put industrial operations…small or large…in authentic villages. That is why they are surviving. Common in the Mittelland. The may well have zero “tourist attractions” but may still have an inn. Are they “true authentic.” I’m thinking of Ranflüh. ot sure if it even has any industry.

These days a “surviving” village in the Alps is authentic, by definition. After all, it is in Switzerland.

It is surviving on skiing, tourism, industrial operations ( e.g. Vals),

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/destinations/vals-vals-valley/

but rarely on simply being a self-contained entity. Maybe not at all. But, they are surviving and authentic.

Hard for me to grasp what “unspoilt” means. Could you elaborate? In fact, all of your adjectives, except Alpine, are not very precise in my mind..

Many of the valleys in the Valais survive on skiers and summer vacation homes. Arethey “spoiled”?

Exactly how does the stated language requirement control or fit your requirements? Must we ignore Trub?

Scroll down to my Oct 17th post with images:

http://www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/visit-to-switzerland-in-september-trip-report

Slowpoke

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    23 February 2020 at 6:55:32 #930549

Out of curiosity, I googled a couple of villages in the upper reaches of the rivers running south towards Lago Maggiore in the Ticino. I was kind of saddened to read how they are in decline as most of the younger people have moved away to jobs in cities such as Locarno or Lugano or even further in some cases. On a related note, just the other day I was reading about a village in Italy where they are selling homes for one Euro to entice people to come and renovate and settle. It brought to mind the case the commune of Albinen, in the Valais, where in late 2017 they voted in favour of offering families plenty of money to come and settle there (for at least ten years, I believe).

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 February 2020 at 8:16:57 #930550

Hi Peterli –

Following your lead, I found:

theculturetrip.com/europe/switzerland/articles/this-adorable-swiss-village-has-a-population-of-just-13/

http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/corippo-switzerland-hotel/index.html

That may be the village I was thinking about.

Slowpoke

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    23 February 2020 at 10:35:35 #930551

Hi Paulus,

Others have mentioned Corippo in the Verzasca valley. Good suggestion. For the Romansch areas, I would recommend Guarda in Engadin, or Vrin in the Lumnezia valley. And in the French part you couls consider La Forclaz in the Hérens valley.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    23 February 2020 at 15:50:58 #930552

<<“For the Romansch areas, I would recommend Guarda in Engadin, “>>

Also, Ardez and Ftan. And, definitely, very photogenic –

The small village ofSur En, across the River Inn from Guarda, Ardez, and Bos-cha.

map.geo.admin.ch/?topic=swisstopo&lang=en&bgLayer=ch.swisstopo.pixelkarte-farbe&catalogNodes=1392,1538,1396,1430,1436&layers=ch.swisstopo.swisstlm3d-wanderwege&E=2809049.41&N=1183147.77&zoom=8

Guarda, Ftan, and Ardez, to a lesser degree, survive on tourists. Still nice.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    24 February 2020 at 1:31:38 #930553

Although more opened up since the Vereina tunnel was opened, The lower Engadin is still pretty unspoilt. I walked from Lavin to Ardez via Guarda 2 days ago – sadly now back in UK 🙁

Guarda and Bos-cha on that walk very unspoilt (it helps that Guarda station is way down in the valley, and tourist cars are not allowed in the village – car park down the road)

Latsch – a steep walk from Berguen-Bravuogn station on the RhB – is unspoilt

Another unspoilt village I know is Niederwald – remarkable since it has a MGB railway station and is the birthplace of Mr Ritz

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    24 February 2020 at 1:57:03 #930554

<<“I walked from Lavin to Ardez via Guarda 2 days ago – sadly now back in UK 🙁 “>>

Nice walk. Kind of sad to see the remains of Lavin.

How was the “road” ?

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    26 February 2020 at 20:10:44 #930555

Thank you Peterli, Arno, Snowman, Slowpoke, 1960man for such an overwhelming list of suggestions.

I took some time to do my research (sorry), make some hateful comparisons and list out the final contenders within my itinerary: Evolene (french Valais), Niederwald (german Valais), Val Verzasca (Ticino) or Soglio (italian Graubunden) and Ardez, Guarda or Sur En (romansch Graubunden). Hard decision ahead.

Snowman
    Participant
    825 posts
    26 February 2020 at 21:14:16 #930556

Paulus,

Good choices. I don’t remember if you told us when in the year you plan to travel. There will be snow from 1000 m elevation upward until April, from 2000m upward maybe until end of June.

Evolène is lovely, but if you go three villages further up you will be in La Forclaz, even more unspoilt than Evolène. Besides Niederwald, you could consider other villages further up in Goms valley. I stayed in Gluringen, near Reckingen, two weeks ago for great cross-country skiing. The other places you mention are great, too. Hard decision indeed.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2020 at 13:36:15 #930557

June. I understand Davos is the highest town at 1600 m so I should be fine. And I really hope all mountain passes above 2500 m are cleared off snow at all times in june.

Sorry pal, snowman ain’t me.

Gotcha about La Forclaz, but unfortunately I can’t find a way to fit that valley into my ambitious itinerary and that is bad. OK for Gluringen.

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 February 2020 at 13:58:03 #930558

Nice to be hopeful.

I’d make my own plans for well after the first week of June for those passes.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2020 at 19:28:59 #930559

Looks like june is transition month for everthing and a week before/later can make a world of difference for most destinations and activities -> will keep on juggling with the days

Slowpoke
    Participant
    7567 posts
    27 February 2020 at 20:46:53 #930560

<<“Looks like june is transition month for everthing and a week

before/later can make a world of difference for most destinations and

activities -“>>

You should add the phrase “at high altitudes.”

If you are in the Mittelland, Spring is well along in mid-May.

Slowpoke

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2020 at 21:14:29 #930561

Fair enough

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2020 at 23:19:50 #930562

To 100% guarantee open high mountain passes you need to travel in July and August

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    28 February 2020 at 0:18:59 #930563

I don’t know what higher altitudes might present you with some issues, but may I suggest that if you do plan to visit the Ticino, you do this at the front end of your trip, as Spring and Summer will arrive sooner there, as they are south of the Alps. You will be just fine in the Val Verzasca.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    28 February 2020 at 16:26:01 #930564

I will Peterli. Panorama trains and city/museum visits first, followed by Ticino, Graubunden, north Switzerland, Lake Leman and finally Zermatt and Jungfrau by the first week of july. If this turns out not good enough for one or more mountain passes, will detour or splurge in car trains.

Thank you and thanks to EVERYBODY for your most informative inpus.

• The thread ‘Authentic Swiss alpine villages’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.