Availability of Golden Pass train on 31 March 2018

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 15:18:30 #814565

Hi,

I have tried making seats reservations on the goldenpass line on 31 March 2018 departing from Interlaken to Montreaux. However, it says there are no train available. Anyone able to advise whether the train is available or where can I check the dates of the trains available? Appreciate your help. Thank you!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 March 2018 at 15:41:57 #877483

Hi Adelene and welcome to MySwissAlps!

Reservations are not possible between Zweisimmen and Montreux (the panoramic trains) due to construction on the line (about 10km long) where you will be transferred on a bus before getting back on a train.

No need to worry, you can still make the trip without reservations.

Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out your trip. The route is 3 sections, explained here– so you always have two connections at least. The panoramic trains only run on the last section, Zweisimmen to Montreux. They are noted on the timetable as MOB Panoramic or Belle Epoque (regional trains also run on this route).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 0:27:44 #877484

Hi Lucas,

thank you for the information. Would like to clarify further.

Not sure if I’m understanding it correctly. Does it mean that the paranomic train between Zweisimmen to Montreaux is not in service due to the construction and we would have to take the regional train?

Or is it still in service just that I can’t make reservations ? If this is the case, how do I ensure my family have seats on the train?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 7:09:34 #877485

Hi Adelene,

The panoramic trains are still in service but for a 10km portion of the trip you will have to disembark and get on a bus (you are on the bus for about 12/13 minutes only). Because of this they are not taking reservations.Make sure you pick a departure time with a panoramic train as I mentioned on my last post (regional trains are also running as normal).

In March this won’t be an issue (it only gets very busy in the summer season). If you want to do everything you can to get a train with fewer people on it don’t take one at rush hour (if your schedule allows). Either way you shouldn’t have any issues.

Very few trains in Switzerland take reservations so it is not unusual for everyone to just board a train and find a seat – rarely is there an issue finding a seat outside of rush hours around large cities.

I did this trip a few weeks ago (Gstaad – Zweisimmen – BernZurich).

The only train that had some people standing was between Zweisimmen and Bern on a Friday at 5pm (skiers with their equipment and commuters coming home at the end of the day made it busier than normal).

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 10:35:17 #877486

Hi Lucas,

Thank you so much for the clarifications. I suppose 31 Mar will be a peak period since its the Easter holiday period?

Also, would like to check if good grips shoes are a necessity for the period I’m traveling or regular shoes are good enough?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 12:39:37 #877487

Yes, Easter could be busy. When boarding at Interlaken I’d get there 20 minutes early if not a little before and try to be the first on the train.

At Zweisimmen you are just connecting so everyone is leaving the Interlaken train for the Golden Pass train there. No tricks to be had here except try to be first off and first on (you typically just walk across the platform from one train to the other).

The timetable will tell you the arrival and departure platform (the train will already be there as it is usually a 6 minute connection).

If you are planning on heading into the mountains you will encounter snow – so ensure you shoes or boots are up for it! If you are staying in the towns and valleys than you may not encounter any snow.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 March 2018 at 13:23:34 #877488

Got it. Thanks alot for your help!

• The thread ‘Availability of Golden Pass train on 31 March 2018’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.