Avoiding transaction fees on Swiss train tickets

• Catherinemes
    Participant
    1 post
    28 April 2023 at 0:13:14 #829707

What is the best way to avoid foreign transaction fees on SBB ticket purchases? I would like to purchase half fare cards and also some individual day passes. I was hit with some large foreign transaction fees on my Swiss Airline ticket purchases and hope to avoid the same mistake in the future. Thank you in advance!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

dodi
    Participant
    28 posts
    28 April 2023 at 5:39:38 #953845

You can avoid foreign transaction fees by having a credit card that doesn’t charge any. Our Capital One card does not, nor does our Chase credit card. You will probably want a card like that for any travels overseas or actually any time you charge on an overseas website like you found with your Swiss Air tickets charge. I have used our Capital One card for all our train tickets, hotels, etc when we travel anywhere overseas and never had a charge for foreign transactions. Also have a Capital One debit card which I use at ATMs overseas… no fees on those either.

Arno
    15479 posts
    28 April 2023 at 6:04:31 #953846

Hi Catherinemes,

There’s a few things to keep in mind: paying in Swiss francs (CHF) is almost always cheaper in the end than payment in your own currency. Plus, keep an eye on exchange rates. Banks may not charge a separate fee, but they often have their own inflated exchange rates. If you do the actual calculation, a translation without a fee can still be quite expensive.

You’ll always pay one way or the other if your home currency isn’t CHF. The trick is to keep costs down and knowing the exact costs of a particular bank.

For more details, please see “Cheapest way to pay in Switzerland’: http://www.myswissalps.com/swissfranc

• The thread ‘Avoiding transaction fees on Swiss train tickets’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10940 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.