Back up plan for Jungfraujoch and pass validation?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 April 2017 at 17:37:57 #811494

Hi all,

Q1. In case the weather won’t allow for a trip to jungfrau during my upcoming visit in early May, please suggest a back up plan. I would be staying in Interlaken. anything that can be free with the STP

Q2. I have received my Swiss travel pass and the first and last date of travel is mentioned. but there is no stamp on the pass – validating stamp and issuing stamp. Is it ok? shall I upload an image of the pass here to show you? Is it safe to upload image here?

Q3. The tickets from Paris from Basel say that pre-validation is required, It will be done at the train station right?

Q4. for any trip, how will I get to know the route and the station where I have to stop? for ex- if I want to go from Interlaken west to lake brienz?

Thank you in advance,

Mona

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    22 April 2017 at 11:12:51 #861933

Hi Mona,

Q1. A boat trip on Lake Brienz or Lake Thun can still be nice with less favourable weather, and also a visit to the Ballenberg open air museum near Brienz. All of this is free with your Swiss Travel Pass.

Q2. So you did not buy a print at home pass? Those are ready to travel? If you received it as a physical document it might need validation but that’s quite rare nowadays. If you’re in doubt you can scan it and attach it here so we can have a look.

Q3. I am surprised it says that it needs validation. Normally it’s just ready to travel on a specific train (it includes seat reservations). Again, feel free to attach it here. You can remove your names if you don’t like forum members to see that.

Q4. Just enter the place of departure and arrival in the timetable. Do read the instructions on the timetable page.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 11:42:35 #861934

Hi Arno,

I have attached two images. The first one showing the ticket from Paris to Basel. Please see at the top where it is mentioned that- validate ticket before boarding. The second image is of Swiss travel pass, which is a physical document. See at the right hand side there is no issuing stamp or validating stamp. That is what I was talking about.

Also, as I will be having two days free in Interlaken, I will need one more suggestion for sightseeing. Do you have any options in mind. Any places which are within a distance of an hour or two and can be travelled free with the STP.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 11:57:09 #861935

Please find attached

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 12:01:50 #861936

Paris to basel

Arno
    15482 posts
    22 April 2017 at 12:25:57 #861937

Hi Mona,

Thanks for the pictures. Regarding the Swiss Travel Pass: I am 99% sure that the print above “issuing stamp” and “validating stamp” serves as the stamp. The requirement for an actual stamp is quite rare. The passport number and signature can be filled out by yourself. You can contact Rail Europe to be 100% sure, or ask the staff at a Swiss train station before you board your first train. I’d recommend to ask Rail Europe so you can use your pass straight away upon arrival.

Regarding the ticket: I can’t see the full ticket but I do see the text “Validate before boarding”. Most of these tickets are printed at home and ready to use, but this is a physical ticket so requirements might be slightly different. I don’t think so though. I think that text is standard but validation is not actually required. If you contact Rail Europe anyway I’d ask that too.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 April 2017 at 14:38:29 #861938

Ok, thanks Arno

Arno
    15482 posts
    22 April 2017 at 14:43:28 #861939

By the way, things to do around Interlaken can be found on our Interlaken page. Lots of that is free with a Swiss Travel Pass, you can verify that here. A ride to Schynige Platte would be worth it, if the weather is good.

mistybabu
    Participant
    28 posts
    23 April 2017 at 18:02:56 #861940

Hi Mona!

We had a similar dilemma while deciding on back ups for Jungfraujoch because we were in Interlaken for 3 days. You can refer to our report in the following link if you like.

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/our-8day-swiss-sojourn

We visited the Lauterbrunnen, Rummelbach falls and Wengen when the weather went cloudy on the day planned for Jungfraujoch and we enjoyed every bit of it!

Regards, Tanuja

• The thread ‘Back up plan for Jungfraujoch and pass validation?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.