Backpacking/Swiss Alps for Five or Six Days

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 February 2015 at 4:25:33 #806904

Hi moderators and forum readers,

I am planning an early to mid June trip to Norway for about four days, but would like to spend the rest of my trip in Switzerland and hiking in the Swiss Alps if at all possible. I will be in Interlaken for a day to go skydiving, and then hope to leave from there for a backpacking trip. I have considered joining a guided backpacking tour but all of them seem to be full 9 to 12 day trips. I will only have five or six days to backpack.

I am open to self-guided tours, however, this will be my first time in Switzerland so I think I would prefer to join a group. I would like to do a hut-to-hut type of trip. Can anyone suggest any guided tours that would offer shorter trips? Or if anyone has any other suggestions for hiking/backpacking the Swiss Alps, I would really appreciate it! I don’t really have a set area of the Swiss Alps that I am targeting to backpack, so I am flexible and open to any suggestions.

Thank you for your help!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15483 posts
    22 February 2015 at 8:20:22 #841795

Hi BrianMc,

Welcome to MySwissAlps and sorry for my late reply. The tour operators we work with can be found here. Indeed I think guided hiking tours are mostly more than 5 days.

Switzerland is easy to explore on your own. Tips to plan are here, and specifically for hiking here. In mid June, the highest trails (over 2000 – 2500 m or so) can still be covered in snow, but you’ll have plenty of other options left, especially for day hikes. Hut to hut hikes need to be prepared for more thoroughly, as these trails are higher and huts need to be booked in advance (see the Schweizer Alpen Club website). Be sure to let someone (e.g. hotel staff) know where you’re headed for the day if you’re walking by yourself.

Apart from our hiking pages, the local tourist office will be able to tell you the trail conditions and offer further suggestions. The Jungfrau region is wonderful for a first time visit. And so is the St. Moritz region and many others.

I hope this gets you started.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 February 2015 at 20:01:40 #841796

Hi Arno,

Thank you so much for your help and information.

Would waiting until early July be better for hiking higher trails?

Thanks again!

Brian

Arno
    15483 posts
    23 February 2015 at 15:29:17 #841797

Hi Brian,

The later you go, the better it is. The best season for the highest trails is late July through September.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    27 February 2015 at 4:32:18 #841798

Thanks again for all of your help!

Brian

• The thread ‘Backpacking/Swiss Alps for Five or Six Days’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10970 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.