Baggage theft from our hotel in Interlaken

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2019 at 5:54:41 #822391

Hello all,

Just wanna share a difficult experience encountered in Interlaken, when we toured with family from Singapore last week.

On reaching hotel around 10:00pm from Zurich, (Hirschen, Hauptstrasse, Interlaken), a guy was standing near the hotel reception door, whom we thought as hotel staff initially. Hotel door was closed and upon knocking, one receptionist opened the door and we all went inside near reception desk. Noticed the guy, who was standing outside, was also followed us and he just went inside the hotel and seen talking to another hotel staff. While I was busy in filling the registration and my wife and kids standing behind me with the luggages, this guy came out suddenly and took out one of the baggage and just went outside and ran away. All these happened in fraction of a minute! we were thinking him as a hotel staff!

Later hotel guys informed Police and they collected all details…. but couldn’t find any leads…

Stolen baggage contains winter clothing’s, jackets, sweaters etc… luckily passports and cash were in another bag!

Later hotel staff were cautioning about similar happenings in the trains and also about the need to have a check on the luggages kept on the luggage compartment of the train!

Just posting this here to have an awareness about how things can take a wrong turn even in a safe country like Switzerland…

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Annika
    7124 posts
    21 June 2019 at 6:13:04 #915753

Hi NipuN!

Thank you for posting this. I’m very sorry to hear what happened to you. Switzerland is generally a safe country indeed, but unfortunately not entirely clear of thieves and pickpockets. It’s always wise to keep an eye on your luggage while traveling and to carry passports, travel passes, money and payment cards directly on your body. But I fully understand that you were caught off guard by such an unexpected turn of events. I haven’t heard of this trick before, so thank you for making us aware of what can happen.

How unfortunate that the police can’t trace the thieve and your luggage. Let’s hope they’re able to solve this in the long run, and that you can replace your clothing without too much trouble. You’ll find some large clothing shops in Interlaken, and supermarkets with clothing departments.

Did you contact your (travel) insurance?

I wish you all the best for the remaining part of your stay in Switzerland!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    21 June 2019 at 6:25:27 #915754

Thanks a lot Annika for your kind words!

We already received police report regarding the theft and i am going to file a claim with Insurance company.

Rest of the tour was fantastic and we had nice experience during our stay there..

Yeah! we had to buy entire winter clothing for family from Interlaken!, which we feel much costlier compared to other towns!

• The thread ‘Baggage theft from our hotel in Interlaken’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.