Storing luggage in Lucerne train station

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Hisham
Hisham
18 posts
Apr 15, 2019 - 11:44 AM

I will be travelling from Jun 8th until 12th for 4 nights, I am planning to stay in Zurich i day one and the rest 3 nights in Interlaken so I can explore Interlaken for 2 days and the last day travel to Lucern in the morning then spend some time in lucern and will be travelling to Paris from Basel.

Can anyone advice is the above plan a good one.

moreover, can I keep my baggage's in the lucern train station so I can collect in the evening

Snowman
Snowman
413 posts
top member
Apr 15, 2019 - 3:35 PM in reply to Hisham

Hi Hisha

Yes. Look here.

Steph
Steph
713 posts
top member &
Apr 15, 2019 - 7:30 PM in reply to Hisham

Hi Hisham,

Yes, your plan sounds very nice and do-able.

Find details on your destinations here:
- www.myswissalps.com/zu rich
- www.myswissalps.com/in terlaken
- www.myswissalps.com/lu cerne

To figure out travelling times use our timetable link. Make sure you read how it works, it's an invaluable tool for planning.
- www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

And last but not least, find an overview of services available in Lucerne railway station in below link, including a download-able pdf map to find the lockers:
- www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/railway-stations/lucerne-station.html

Hope this helps.

Best,
Steph

Hisham
Hisham
18 posts
Apr 16, 2019 - 7:37 AM in reply to Steph

Hi Steph,

Thanks for your assistance, how many baggages can a passenger carry while travelling in the train(Eg from Bassel to Paris) is there any limitation for the number of bags or weight? Can we store the baggages under the seats or anywhere in the compartment?

Snowman
Snowman
413 posts
top member
Apr 16, 2019 - 7:46 AM in reply to Hisham

< how many baggages can a passenger carry while travelling in the train >

There is no limitation, but try to have as little as possible. Remember, there are no luggage carriers for hire in Swiss stations, and carts are not always available. One average size suitcase and a handbag per person is considered reasonable.

Check out this thread: www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/best-suitcases-sizes-for-traveling

Hisham
Hisham
18 posts
Apr 16, 2019 - 7:50 AM in reply to Snowman

Thanks Step.

Steph
Steph
713 posts
top member &
Apr 16, 2019 - 9:11 AM in reply to Hisham

Hi Hisham,

As long as it's sort of "normal" luggage you carry, you shouldn't have any issues. You normally have luggage space at each end of the carriage, some overhead compartments and space between the seat rows to store luggage.

Are you planning to come with an over-dimensional suitcase or is there a specific reason you're asking?! On trains to France you could travel in a French train. Not sure about details there but travelling with luggage in trains is fairly standard.

Best,
Steph

Hisham
Hisham
18 posts
Apr 16, 2019 - 9:20 AM in reply to Steph

Thanks Steph,

I am traveling with my family 5 members 2 adults and 3 kids age 8,11 and 15.

we are planning to carry

Myself one 26inch 4 wheel luggage + a normal backpack

My wife 26 inch 4 wheel luggage + a normal backpack

each kid will have 22 inch 4 wheel luggage + a normal backpack

I hope there wont be any issue while moving from Basel to France by TGV lyriya train.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5910 posts
expert
Apr 16, 2019 - 9:29 AM in reply to Hisham

Hi Hisham-

I assume that you will not leave luggage at Luzern during your days in Interlaken. Whether you do or not, make sure that you can get your luggage at the end of the day when you leave Luzern. The left luggage office at Luzern main station opens at 0800 and is open only until 1900.

If you leave your luggage in a locker for one day, it will be available after 1900, but, after a couple of days, it is transferred to the left luggage office and accumulates storage fees.

So, if you leave a bag in a locker in Luzern, while you are in Interlaken, it may not be accessible if you come for it after 1900.

Slowpoke

Last modified on Apr 16, 2019 - 9:30 AM by Slowpoke
Hisham
Hisham
18 posts
Apr 16, 2019 - 9:46 AM in reply to Slowpoke

No I am not going to leave it there, as my plan is to start my last day Journey from Interlaken to Luzern and spend some time in luzern I am not sure how much time I can be there in Lucern to explore as I need to catch the train to Paris that is 4.30 in the evening.

Slowpoke
Slowpoke
5910 posts
expert
Apr 16, 2019 - 9:53 AM in reply to Hisham

Hi Hisham-

I'm not sure of the exact routings for trains to Paris from Switzerland, and, if you want to see Luzern, this comment may not be useful. And, I did not spend time with the timetable to study the route details.

But, Bern is a place to catch trains to Paris, and it is only one hour from Interlaken Ost. Luzern is a roundabout way to get to Paris from Interlaken.

Slowpoke

Hisham
Hisham
18 posts
Apr 16, 2019 - 10:07 AM in reply to Slowpoke

This is interesting as I have done lots of research and found that the best way to catch Paris through Bassel. However, as per your advice Interlaken to Luzern to Paris is a roundabout way but there is no direct train from Bern to Paris but Bern to Bassel to Paris. in this case all the trains are passing through Bassel to Paris. So moving from interlaken -->> lucern--->>Bassel-->> Paris is same as Interlaken-->>Bern-->> Basel-->>Paris; correct me if I am wrong.

Steph
Steph
713 posts
top member &
Apr 16, 2019 - 10:59 AM in reply to Hisham

Hi Hisham,

Both options are absolutely do-able, depending on your preferences.

If you leave directly from Interlaken with luggage you travel Interlaken to Bern to Basel to Paris.

If you travel from Interlaken via Lucerne as you suggest you travel Interlaken to Lucerne via Olten to Basel and then to Paris.

At the end of the day I believe it's convenience on a travelling day that counts.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Steph

See:
- www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france

Last modified on Apr 16, 2019 - 7:50 PM by Steph
Hisham
Hisham
18 posts
Apr 16, 2019 - 11:05 AM in reply to Steph

Thanks Appreciated.

More on MySwissAlps.com

Get a free account to plan your trip

Planning your trip is much easier with a free MySwissAlps account. Learn all about Switzerland and get in touch with us quickly if you have questions.

Learn more

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2019