Base camp for Jungfrau, Golden Pass, Pilatus

• abhinalways
    Participant
    13 posts
    31 May 2016 at 10:16:20 #809308

Hi,

I am planning to visit switzerland for a period of 5 days along with my mother , wife and two small kids 3 years and other one 3 months.

Need your suggestion on the location to stay for the following itinerary. We prefer an apartment. Also please advice if the below schedule would be hectic or is it doable with kids:

Day 1: Arrive at Basela t 9:30. Travel to location of Stay (Please Advice) in the vicinity of Interlakken suitable to tour below 3 days.

Day 2: Travel to Jungfrau. back to Residence. if time permints, Interlakken lake or some other nearby areas.

Day 3: Travel through Golden Pass. Back to Residence.

Day 4: Travel to Mount Pilatus / Bern Depending on location of stay.

Day 5: Do Rhine falls and Back to Basel airport by 4 PM.

Please advice a area which will be affordable to stay and also will be good place to cover the above itenary. We dont mind staying at a different place on Day 4 (night), to avoid early morning travelling to Rhine Falls.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Arno
    15482 posts
    31 May 2016 at 10:31:12 #852463

Hi abhinalways, welcome to MySwissAlps!

Can you add some additional information, like budget per night and your exact travel dates? Thanks!

Note that an apartment might be difficult to find for a few nights, as many are rented from Saturday to Saturday only.

abhinalways
    Participant
    13 posts
    31 May 2016 at 11:21:39 #852464

My Budget is somewhere in the range of 125-175 Euros per night. Though I really don’t have an idea about whats the good price to accessibility range. I don’t mind a bit higher price if it adds to the convenience of the family and make it a better trip.

Arno
    15482 posts
    1 June 2016 at 8:26:03 #852465

Hi abhinalways,

Logistically, a town between Interlaken and Lucerne would be best. That allows you to visit both regions. Towns like Brienz and Meiringen could be an option. Or Lungern perhaps.

If you like suggestions for specific accommodations I am going to need your travel dates, to prevent making suggestions for booked out places.

abhinalways
    Participant
    13 posts
    1 June 2016 at 9:03:31 #852466

I would be check-in on 7th June and Check out on 11th June.

I would need an apartment with a kitchen, suitable for 3 adults and two kids aged 3 years and 3 months.

abhinalways
    Participant
    13 posts
    1 June 2016 at 15:34:01 #852467

Thanks a lot Arno for your reply. I have been following your site from long time and its really great place for information.

One question to continue…. Are all of the three locations i.e. Brienz ,Meiringen Or Lungern easily accessible with public transportation till say 8 PM. I am planning to take Swiss Pass, so prefer public transportation. I am just worried that with a 3 month kid we should not get stuck somewhere because of unavailability of transportation.

Below is my detailed Plan. You can suggest some change , if you consider a better thing. We are confused between Mount Pilatus and Titlis… which one to do.

Day 1: Travel to Rhine Valley and then reach Lucerne Hotel by 6PM
    Day 2: Mount Pilatus and Lucerne city… Stay Overnight again in same hotel
    Day 3: Golden Pass Route and Check in at Interlaken hotel….
    Day 4: Jungfrau and If time permits local Interlaken
    Day 5: Back to Basel and Spend time there and take flight

abhinalways
    Participant
    13 posts
    1 June 2016 at 20:15:52 #852468

Hi Arno

Do you think if I book a apartment in Brienz, above itinerary can be followed.

Also how good is public transportation to reach a place like brienz sauce by 9 PM

Merav
    Participant
    6 posts
    1 June 2016 at 22:53:11 #852469

I am not sure it is good for children so young to go up to the jungfrau summit.,because it is so high.

I’ve heard of some cases of difficulties in breathing and blue lips…

Please check this issue .maybe it is better to chose some other mountain.I think the Titlis is better from this aspect, snd also closer to lucern.

abhinalways
    Participant
    13 posts
    2 June 2016 at 6:34:24 #852470

Thanks Merav for your suggestion, we did check this issue with the doctor and they said shouldn’t be an issue. However we have planned that we will go to Pilatus first and then see how it goes.

What would be your suggestion between Pilatus and Titlis, which is better. Any suggestions for location to stay.

Arno
    15482 posts
    2 June 2016 at 12:37:49 #852471

Hi abhinalways,

All suggested town can be reached by public transport. Please check the timetable for traveling times to the various sites you have on your list.

It’s difficult to find an apartment for just a few days on such short notice. I didn’t realize you’ll be traveling in a few days time. I have found a few options:

1. Hotel Weisses Kreuz is just across the train station in Brienz. The boat, bus stop, and the cogwheel train up the mountain are very close as well. Logistically, this would be the best option. Please see http://www.hotelscombined.com /Hotel/Weisses_Kreuz_H otel_Brienz.htm for details.
    2. Chalet Sonnenblick is in Brienz as well, but a bit further from the train station. It does have a kitchen though. Please see http://www.booking.com/ hotel/ch/chalet-sonnenblick.html.

Both options are currently still available.

Your plans looks fine to me, I am just not sure what you mean by the Rhine Valley. You probably mean the Rhine Fall, right? That would make sense for that day.

Be sure to order your Swiss Travel Pass in time. If you do, you can print it at home and thus save time upon arrival as it will be ready for travel immediately. Order processing takes a few days, hence the time limit for this option. You can visit http://www.swissrailways.com/ en. After filling out your address, they will show the delivery options. Pick “Online Ticket” from the bottom of the list. They will e-mail the pass (no delivery fees) so you can print it at home. Today is the last day you can order for June 7.

I hope this was useful!

abhinalways
    Participant
    13 posts
    2 June 2016 at 16:38:05 #852472

Thanks for the reply Arno. Perhaps for swiss pass I am too late. i will buy them at the station Directly and you are right I meant Rhine Falls.

Arno one last question . What is your personal opinion about travelling with a 3 month kid to Jungfrau.

Is Jungfrau a must for Swiss Travelers?

Is the Jungfrau ticket can be used twice in the same day up and down. Intention is I can take my wife in the morning and then my mother. May be one of them can wait with my 3 months kid at the middle station.

Please advice. I always hear different stories about kids. I have checked on Jungfrau Site and also checked with the Doctors in Netherlands, they don’t see an issue with it.

However your experience of handling this site and information on swiss may help to make a decision.

Arno
    15482 posts
    2 June 2016 at 17:02:28 #852473

Hi abhinalways,

The guideline is to check with your pediatrician if you plan to visit locations over 2500 m with children under 2 years old. Jungfraujoch is well above that. If the pediatrician says it’s ok then it should be fine. The issue with small children is that they can’t express how they feel, so you need to keep an eye on them and go down if they behave different than usual. But I’m not a doctor; the advise of your doctor is key here.

A ticket to Jungfraujoch is for one return ride. You can’t use it twice.

You’re not too late to buy the pass if you do it today. Would be a shame to miss your first train just to buy a pass. But if you don’t manage you can go to a staffed station before your first trip. All travelers should be present and you should present all passports.

Did you find accommodation that suits your needs?

Enjoy your stay!

abhinalways
    Participant
    13 posts
    2 June 2016 at 17:12:54 #852474

Thanks Arno. Will keep in mind the advice you gave.

If I order the swiss pass today, when will i recieve the e-mail for printing. Will it be today itself or it will be on Monday. because I would be travelling on Tuesday early morning. So printing wont be possible on Tuesday Morning.

Arno
    15482 posts
    2 June 2016 at 17:21:19 #852475

You’re welcome! They will send it in time, not as late as the travel day. You can even use the Notes field to explain you need it by June 6 at the latest.

abhinalways
    Participant
    13 posts
    4 June 2016 at 20:29:41 #852476

Hi Arno,

Based on your suggestion I managed to book the apartment in Breinz,Chalet Sonnenblick. It saved my some money for sure.

Because First day I plan to visit Rhine Falls from Basel Airport and then Back to the Chalet Sonnenblick in the evening and also on the last day I would travel from Chalet Sonnenblick to Basel, I was thinking it would be nice to rent a car, considering that I would have luggage and also small kids with me. I don’t get any extra discounts with Swiss pass at Rhine Falls…and rental car saves time and convinience…..Whats your suggestion?

Secondly for the Day 2 to Pilatus (Preferably Golden Tour) , Day 3 to Jungfrau and Day 4 Golden Pass (or some nice drive). Would you recommend us to take a 3 day swiss pass or use the car to travel. I did comparision as below and found that the difference is 100 euro per person in favor of car …considering we are 3 adults its 300 euros.

Can you advice if my calculations are correct . What would be your suggestion..Shall i take the swiss pass which would give Golden pass tour or go with Car and choose a new scenic route by car. For me convenience and peace of mind is a big factor to enjoy the vacation.

With swiss Pass: I pay 130 at Jungfrau + 54 euro Golden Tour which makes it roughly 200 euros i pay + 210 i pay for the pass so 410 Euros with Golden Pass Trip (Lucerne to Montreux) being free.

Without Swiss Pass: 204 Jungfrau + 106 Golden Tour = 310 euros without Golden Pass.

I appreciate you taking effort to reply to everyone’s post and I wish one day I would be helpful to this site as well. The good part is you help people make wise decisions and still give your choices

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    5 June 2016 at 5:18:33 #852477

>>> Also how good is public transportation to reach a place like brienz sauce by 9 PM

Hi abhinalways,

According to Google Maps (see attached screenshot), Chalet Sonnenblick is about a 20 minute walk from Brienz railway station, but there is also a bus from the railway station (No. 151) that stops quite close to the Sonnenblick.

It looks like the closest bus stop is the one called “Schwanden b. Brienz, Birgli”, but there is also another one close by called “Brienz BE, Altersheim” (see attached map). Perhaps your host could advise you which is the most convenient.

The last bus from Brienz railway station to both the above bus stops leaves the station at 21:36 daily. The 3 buses prior to that leave at 18:26, 19:26 and 20:36 daily (see attached timetable screenshot).

So that should meet your needs for getting back to your accommodation around 9 pm.

Alpenrose

Arno
    15482 posts
    5 June 2016 at 9:08:44 #852478

Hi abhinalways,

Glad to hear accommodation is arranged for! Now, as for the car versus train question: there have been several discussions about that, here and here for example. When you say “convenience and piece of mind” I’d automatically recommend public transport. Once you know how it works (and you’ll learn quickly), it is more convenient than driving (in most cases, of course there are exceptions). Driving is not a good idea when visiting larger cities as its hard to find your way in narrow busy streets. Then you’ll have to find parking and pay for that too (prices vary, up to CHF 4 per hour). Many mountain excursions can’t be done by car, so you need cable car tickets anyway, and those are expensive without a rail pass. Scenic drives can be wonderful, but don’t expect the driver to see much while driving. On twisty or busy roads, one needs to pay attention all the time, and pull over to enjoy the scenery. The advantage of a car is the ability to take a lot of luggage if the car is big enough, and to visit remote places. You don’t seem to have such places on your list though.

Cost wise, you’d have to to the math. Convenience wise, I would say to avoid very long day trips with kids (regardless of the mode of transport), and take the trains where possible.

abhinalways
    Participant
    13 posts
    5 June 2016 at 10:04:32 #852479

Thanks Arno for quick response. Please let us know how people like us can be helpful to the website.

Arno
    15482 posts
    5 June 2016 at 10:46:51 #852480

Hi abhinalways,

It would be nice if you could post a trip report here in the Trip Reports forum once you’re back. Other travelers, as well as ourselves, really like reading that.

Have a good time in Switzerland!

abhinalways
    Participant
    13 posts
    5 June 2016 at 12:51:22 #852481

Sure Arno. Will do that.

• The thread ‘Base camp for Jungfrau, Golden Pass, Pilatus’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.