Good base for Bernina Express

Good base for Bernina Express

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
niktravel
niktravel
6 posts
Mar 12, 2018 - 11:00 PM

i will be arriving in Basel in June and am wondering what will be the ideal base for Berninia express. Should i consider staying in Zurich or move to Chur. Also i have booked my travel via TGV lyria from paris to basel, am just wondering that to use my swiss half fare card i will have to get down at basel and find an alternate train or will it work in TGV lyria. thanks

rockoyster
rockoyster
3709 posts
expert
Mar 12, 2018 - 11:25 PM in reply to niktravel

The Bernina Express leaves Chur at 8:32 am so you need an early start from Zurich to catch it.

Have you checked timings on Swiss Train Timetable (www.myswissalps.com/ti metable)?

If the TGV Lyria continues through to Zurich you can get discount for Swiss Half-Fare Card but you will need to have bought a ticket Basel To Zurich prior to travel if you want to stay on same train. See www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france and timetable link above to purchase ticket on-line.

niktravel
niktravel
6 posts
Mar 13, 2018 - 12:19 AM in reply to rockoyster

thanks rockoyster. i looked at this link earlier but still am confused. i have a half fare card and a confirmed booking from paris to basel. do i get down at basel and take another train or do i have an option to buy another ticket with my half fare card covering basel to zurich in the same TGV lyria. the link tells me that it is free for swiss pass and i do get that, what about half fare.

rockoyster
rockoyster
3709 posts
expert
Mar 13, 2018 - 2:07 AM in reply to niktravel

With a Swiss Half Fare Card you just need to buy a ticket for the Basel to Zurich leg and stay on the same train. If you buy it on-line from SBB then the fare you first see will normally be the half-fare price. See attached screen grab.

Fill in your details and where it says Discount Cards just tick the Half-fare Card to ensure the correct price.

If you click on the + sign next to the "Options for Outward Journey" you might see an option for a Supersaver ticket which will be even cheaper BUT is tied to a particular train rather than the route.

Please login to see the attached documents
meesonia
meesonia
8 posts
Mar 13, 2018 - 2:57 PM

Hi Niktravel, you haven't said where you are heading after the BEX, and if you're setting off from Chur, are you going to finish at Tirano, or travel onto Lugano?

We are also travelling TGV Lyria in June, Paris to Zurich, then Zurich to Lugano, overnight there, then get the BEX Bus the following morning, 10am, to Tirano, then get the BEX train at 14.06 to St Moritz, 2 nights in St M then GEX to Zermatt.

niktravel
niktravel
6 posts
Mar 13, 2018 - 5:47 PM in reply to rockoyster

thanks rockoyster, this is great info. really appreciate the screenshot. t

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

More on MySwissAlps.com

Swiss tips in your mailbox

Sign up to receive our newsletter and the latest forum messages. The best way to prepare for your trip!

Get a customized itinerary for your trip

Let Swiss travel consultants create a customized itinerary. They will book your entire trip.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2018