Base for Spiez/Grindelwald/Wengen in summer

• Debk
    Participant
    7 posts
    3 September 2022 at 6:13:48 #828238

Hello.

I have done a fair bit of research on the three above areas for a summer trip next year late June 28th for 6-7 nights leaving 4-5th July 2023.

The more I read the more confused I get! Any advice would be most helpful.

We are coming from Lake Garda Italy so will arrive in Spiez and either base here or head to Wengen or Grindewald.

We will have a car if in Spiez if needed no car for Wengen or Grindewald based on my research. I thought this would give us other good day trip options if weather isn’t good? For example Zurich or Bern.

We would like to do the following, Lauterbrunnen, lake Brienz and waterfalls, gelmerbahn coaster possibly, a white water rafting trip, paragliding, Wengen for the golden ticket ride on top cable car and hiking up top, Grindelwald for the activities on first and a hike.

Is either a more practical base Spiez compared to a village (Wengen or Grindewald). We are travelling with our teenage son and parents (seniors) too. So need a base good for all types of day activities and day trip options.

Thank you

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Anna
    6355 posts
    3 September 2022 at 10:42:47 #946363

Hi Debk,

Welcome to MySwissAlps.

I think Spiez is a good base to explore the Bernese Oberland region. It’s close to Lake Thun and you can easily plan day trips to Bern and Kandersteg too. However if you’re planning to do more excursion in the Jungfrau region, I suggest staying nearby preferably in Interlaken or Lauterbrunnen. Or if you prefer a mountain setting, either Wengen or Grindelwald. There are plenty of things to do for travellers of all ages in the region. And with the excellent rial system, you can make day trips with the train to various destinations. You can find various sightseeing and day trip options here: http://www.myswissalps.com/jungfrauregion/activities

Hope this gets you started.

Regards,

Anna

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    3 September 2022 at 12:26:18 #946364

I agree with Anna, Spiez is a good base. There is a really nice luxury hotel (the Eden) with good views across the lake. You don’t need a car, Spiez is a major railway junction with inter city, regional and local trains and good local bus connections.

Debk
    Participant
    7 posts
    4 September 2022 at 4:32:59 #946365

Thank you both for your replies. I have looked at the hotel in Spiez and it looks perfect for us if choosing this base. I have emailed hotel to check for availability. It looks like this base will be easier for my parents who will only do a day or two in mountains then they can explore Kanderstag and Bern and do cruises on the lakes. We are happy to travel the extra if it is easier for them.

Also not sure if either of you can assist with this question.

We have previously stayed in Grindewald a few years ago only for a few nights in December and it rained the whole time and we didn’t get to explore the village. We still had a great time as we used the sports centre and had a wine on the balcony our son ice skated. We made the best of it 😄

I know whether in mountains is not possible to predict however is there a difference between Spiez and say Wengen/Grindewald weather wise early July? Or very much the same? I am looking to book 6 nights this time so we have more chance of a a couple days in mountains (if we get lucky) in nice weather. Also when it rains is it torrential or showers that come and go? I know it’s impossible to say but just wondered if we would be likely to have some sun during this time.

Thank you!

Arno
    15482 posts
    4 September 2022 at 10:58:47 #946366

Hi Debk,

Too bad you experienced rainy days in Grindelwald during your prior visit! Weather-wise Spiez is a great base. If weather in the mountains is good enough you can easily reach the Jungfrau region. If not, there are many other destinations within easy reach of Spiez.

Yes, there can be local weather differences in July. On typical warm days, clouds tend to build in the course of the day. That usually first happens over the mountain tops and in mountain areas (such as Grindelwald and Wengen), then later around open areas such as Lake Thun along which Spiez is located. Showers tend to occur in the late afternoon or evening on such days. But this is just one possible pattern. There can be local showers affecting Spiez and not the Jungfrau region just as well. Relentless rain for days on a row is not common, but it can happen. So you’re right, it’s very hard to predict :-).

You can read more at the below pages:

Debk
    Participant
    7 posts
    4 September 2022 at 20:14:24 #946367

Thank you for your reply. We will definitely stay in Spiez and are crossing our fingers for some nice weather at some point for a couple of mountain excursions.

We really look forward to seeing Switzerland again! We had such a great time there.

We won’t use public transport and will look at the travel passes. Possibly the Bernese Oberland pass might be best for us! Seems to cover the cruises, the mountain excursions and towns in Bernese area. We want to go up the mountains though not the top of Europe so this might work well.

Thank you

Anna
    6355 posts
    5 September 2022 at 6:52:21 #946368

Hi DebK,

Getting a railpass is practical even if you plan to drive for the duration of your trip. A railpass such as the Swiss Half Fare Card or the Regional Pass Bernese Oberland will give you substantial saving from paying full-price mountain excursion tickets.

Regards,

Anna

Debk
    Participant
    7 posts
    10 September 2022 at 6:35:34 #946369

Hello again,

After speaking to everyone in the family. It seems everyone would prefer to be in the mountains. So we have changed to Grindelwald or Wengen. There are many questions about this and I have done a lot of reading and hoping someone can help with a couple of questions regarding both.

In Wengen we would stay at Sunstar hotel. In Grindewald a hotel with a pool most likely. I have found Park Hotel Schonegg, Sunstar, Spinne and the EigerSelfness (no pool though can use sports centre if staying here). question 1 – has anyone been to or know if these hotels are ok? We would prefer a pool (for our son).

Question 2 – after researching both places it seems Wengen has a great view and smaller and Grindewald a little bigger more going on still nice views just different.

I am worried Wengen while lovely would be too small a village for a teenager? And also for 6 nights. Is my worry justified?

What we would like is a nice hotel with a pool in which we can access our activities more easily. Lauterbrunnen, lake thun, lake brienz, mannlichen, kleine scheidegg, Grindewald first for activities and a white water rafting trip (assuming Interlaken to meet for this). I realise both are viable options for the activities though is one a little easier for our journeys or more practical?

I keep reading Grindewald is too busy in summer. We will be there July 2nd to July 8th. What is meant by too busy? Seeing a tour bus and some people or not being able to get a seat at a restaurant for example. We like activity seeing people and a nice vibe of activity. Which spot would be better for example to hire a bike and go for a bike ride right from town. Or to go for a walk in the mornings. We wouldn’t like so quiet it’s more for relaxing or a spot for my husband and I rather than us and our son of that makes sense.

we aren’t fussy with dinners though more than one or two options would be good. Not sure if this helps we stayed in Seefeld village once for Xmas and the size of that village suited us. It had things to do in the village and surroundings.

Thanks again,

Anna
    6355 posts
    10 September 2022 at 18:59:06 #946370

Hi DebK,

Parkhotel Schonegg, Sunstar and Spinne are all good hotel options with a pool. You might also want to consider Arenas Resort in Wengen, which has an indoor pool as well as an outdoor pool.

The main difference between Wengen and Grindelwald is that Wengen is a car-free village and Grindelwald is not. Both mountain villages have regular train services but in Grindelwald you will also see cars and local buses. In Wengen, the only vehicles allowed are hotel shuttles so this makes the village fairly less busy in comparison.

In terms of amenities and activity options, both have enough to offer.

Hope this gives you some ideas about the ideal base for your trip.

Regards,

Anna

• The thread ‘Base for Spiez/Grindelwald/Wengen in summer’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.