Basel airport to Wengen- buying tickets on SBB app

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2020 at 19:52:43 #825603

Hello MySwissAlps!

After many months of planning followed by months of wondering if travel would even be possible, my trip to Switzerland in a few weeks is fast approaching (and looks like it will actually happen)…!

We fly to/from Basel airport and are staying in Wengen. I have used this forum for a lot of my planning, so firstly thank you to all the contributors!

For myself and my partner I plan to buy a Half Fare Card and Berner Oberland Regional Pass from Happy Rail. The BO pass will be valid on only the whole days we are in Switzerland, not the days of our flights. I have done the maths and this is the best/cheapest option based on our itinerary. These will be bought in advance and we will have them saved to PDF on my phone (and printed as a back up). On the day we travel from Basel to Wengen we will just have the half fare cards.

My main goal is to get as quickly as I can from Basel to Wengen, avoiding queuing for ticket desks or ticket machines where I can, so want to do as much online as I can. After looking on the SBB website and downloading the app, it seems I can buy one ticket which will get us from the bus at Basel Airport to Wengen. Does anyone have experience of using the SBB app extensively for buying tickets, does it work well? It just seems strange to me to have a bus and train ticket “in one”. Would we show the ticket and passes on my phone on boarding the bus at the airport, and then on each subsequent train journey?

Thank you

• The thread ‘Basel airport to Wengen- buying tickets on SBB app’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10960 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.