Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Basel airport to Wengen- buying tickets on SBB app

Basel airport to Wengen- buying tickets on SBB app

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
This thread is closed. You are welcome to log in and submit a new thread.
clairebee
clairebee
4 posts
Jul 2, 2020 - 7:52 PM

Hello MySwissAlps!

After many months of planning followed by months of wondering if travel would even be possible, my trip to Switzerland in a few weeks is fast approaching (and looks like it will actually happen)...!

We fly to/from Basel airport and are staying in Wengen. I have used this forum for a lot of my planning, so firstly thank you to all the contributors!

For myself and my partner I plan to buy a Half Fare Card and Berner Oberland Regional Pass from Happy Rail. The BO pass will be valid on only the whole days we are in Switzerland, not the days of our flights. I have done the maths and this is the best/cheapest option based on our itinerary. These will be bought in advance and we will have them saved to PDF on my phone (and printed as a back up). On the day we travel from Basel to Wengen we will just have the half fare cards.

My main goal is to get as quickly as I can from Basel to Wengen, avoiding queuing for ticket desks or ticket machines where I can, so want to do as much online as I can. After looking on the SBB website and downloading the app, it seems I can buy one ticket which will get us from the bus at Basel Airport to Wengen. Does anyone have experience of using the SBB app extensively for buying tickets, does it work well? It just seems strange to me to have a bus and train ticket "in one". Would we show the ticket and passes on my phone on boarding the bus at the airport, and then on each subsequent train journey?

Thank you

1960man
1960man
2726 posts
top member
Jul 2, 2020 - 9:31 PM in reply to clairebee

The Swiss transport system works as 'one whole' so the ticket Basel Flughafen - Wengen will be valid. The Basel Flughafen - Basel SBB bus (number 50) works like all other Swiss buses - on an honesty basis, so ticket checks only take place occasionally (as spot checks). You are likely not to be checked. Once at Basel SBB you will board your train (walk-on, like all Swiss trains) and off you go. On Swiss trains you just find a seat and the train conductors will check your ticket at some point.

Last modified on Jul 2, 2020 - 9:37 PM by 1960man
gramels
gramels
46 posts
Jul 2, 2020 - 9:34 PM in reply to clairebee

It is as simple as it is. Just buy the ticket for the correct relation and hop on. Or activate "EasyRide" and just hop on and get charged for the trip you did.

www.sbb.ch/en/timetable/mobile-apps/sbb-mobile/easyride.html

Anna
Anna
889 posts
top member &
Jul 3, 2020 - 6:18 AM in reply to clairebee

Hi Clairebee,

Welcome to MySwissAlps!

The online tickets on SBB are indeed valid for all connections (bus, tram, train included). For more information about how to travel on Swiss public transport especially trains: www.myswissalps.com/train/practical/howtotravel

Please be aware that commencing 6 July, wearing mask is compulsory on public transport. Further details here: www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland

And please visit this page regularly for the latest updates about travelling in Switzerland during a pandemic: www.myswissalps.com/coronavirus

Just in case, here are the links to information about the Regional Pass Berner Oberland and the Swiss Half Fare card.

Safe trip and enjoy your holiday!

Anna

clairebee
clairebee
4 posts
Jul 8, 2020 - 4:35 PM

Hi everyone

Thank you for your helpful responses - that puts my mind at ease about the journey to Wengen. The EasyRide feature is interesting, I had not noticed that on the app. I'm not sure if I trust myself enough to use it though!

Ildiko
Ildiko
990 posts
top member &
Jul 9, 2020 - 8:23 AM in reply to clairebee

Hi Clairebee,

just a quick answer to you, if you are going to Wengen, make sure to check these too: www.myswissalps.com/wengen/activities and www.myswissalps.com/wengen/hotels and www.myswissalps.com/wengen/rentals.

Wish you a great trip,

Ildiko

More about Swiss trains and rail passes

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020