Basel – Lucerne – Zurich: 6 nights: Itinerary

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    16 August 2017 at 14:12:44 #812984

Hi there –

We (self, wife and 9 year old daughter) are coming from Paris to Basel by lunch time on 25th September and flying out from Zurich on 1st October afternoon. We have 6 nights in Switzerland and here is the draft itinerary I have planned (based on the info from your site), would request your review for any suggestions and modifications. I havent made any hotel bookings and hence have flexibility to make changes. This is our first trip to Switzerland and we want to make best use of our time choosing the what to see (given the understanding that weather is a key factor for any mountain trips)

25th Sept: Arrive in Basel, Basel-Interlaken

26th Sept: Jungfraujoch (from Interlaken)

27th Sept: Lucerne

28th Sept: Lucerne (Mt Titlis)

29th Sept: Lucerne

30th Sept: Early morning depart to Zurich and spend a night – during the day City tour

1st Oct: Fly out from Zurich – 3.30 pm flight

The dilemma I have is will it be productive make a stop over for two nights in Interlaken – as the weather cant predictable and hence going up mountain for Jungfraujoch is uncertain ? Will we get experience atleast some part of Bernese Oberland – if we stay at Grindelwald or Lauterbernan – even if we dont get to go up to Jungfraujoch because of weather conditions.

Should we go from Basel some where else instead Interlaken and opt for some other experience before arriving at Lucerne ?

Zurich – one night is it worth it or do we spend that time in Lucerne itself ? We are considering a city tour of Zurich – because thats the only Switzerland big city where we have an opportunity to see.

Thanks in advance for your time.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2017 at 7:04:17 #868459

Hi Kanna and welcome to MySwissAlps!

I would be tempted to stay 2 nights in the Jungfrau region to account for weather issues yes.
    I think you might enjoy staying in a smaller village like Lauterbrunnen or Wengen rather than Interlaken though.

I would stick with Lucerne, it is a nice city with great nearby mountains such as Mt. Titlis and others.
    If you would like to see Zurich (the “big city” here) then by all means it can be a nice 1/2 day for sure but I wouldn’t worry about staying over night there.

For rail pass options to consider look here, and visit out web page here on how to choose the best rail pass.
    To plan out all your trips use the Swiss railways timetable here.

Lucas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    17 August 2017 at 7:54:26 #868460

Thank you Lucas, let me try checking the available hotel options from the suggestions from your site.

• The thread ‘Basel – Lucerne – Zurich: 6 nights: Itinerary’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.