Rainy day alternative to mountain- Zurich or Basel

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 1:08:36 #815020

We’ll be in Lucerne for a few days in June. I’m trying to plan an alternate day in case Pilatus and Rigi are rained out. Which old town would you suggest; Basel or Zurich? Thanks for your input!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 March 2018 at 1:46:27 #880229

I’d pick Bern (http://www.myswissalps.com/be rn/activities) over both Basel and Zurich.

Or for something a bit less city-fied take the Voralpen Express to St Gallen. See recent trip report from Forum Moderator Lucas at http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/st-gallen-voralpen-express-from-zurich.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 2:07:50 #880230

Hi, Rockoyster! I’m saving Bern for a rainy day alternate during our Grindelwald stay or possibly our Montreux stay. St. Gallen is a good suggestion but it’s 2.5 hours one way from Luzern and I don’t want to spend all day on a train. So, between Zurich and Basel old towns, which would you choose? Or, do you have another suggestion? Maybe Zug? Although my research shows getting to Zug old town from the train station isn’t as easy as the others. I’m open to all suggestions as long as the train ride isn’t over 90 min. one way.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 March 2018 at 4:20:08 #880231

Hard to say but I’d lean slightly towards Zurich over Basel and maybe cross your fingers for sunny days in June.

Never stopped at Zug but pictures look good. It’s a 6 minute bus ride from the Station to the Altstadt.

I hear the cherry cake alone is worth a visit. 😎

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 5:36:24 #880232

Hi Stacy,

If it is raining everywhere Zurich might give you more opportunities to be inside (art galleries, museums).

If it is just poor weather on the mountains and the towns look ok it makes the call harder.

I’ve not been to Zug (except to change trains) so can’t say too much there. I’d lean to Zurich I think. Also check out Solothurn which is supposed to be quite nice!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 5:46:36 #880233

I’m just hoping we don’t have the June 2016 weather we had in France and Germany…3 straight weeks of rain!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    29 March 2018 at 6:03:32 #880234

Thank, Lucas, for the suggestion of Solothurm. I’ll look it up!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    29 March 2018 at 9:13:38 #880235

Looks nice – and within your 90 mins one way limit. http://www.myswitzerland.com/ en-au/solothurn.html

Peterli
    Participant
    1206 posts
    30 March 2018 at 4:30:43 #880236

Hej !

If you want to keep Berne in reserve for another rainy day, and don’t want to go any further than possible, then I would opt for Zurich. It’s closer than Basel, and there is more to do inside there. Let’s face it, rainy and drizzly days are a real downer no matter where you go. I don’t know what is in your plans for Lucerne, whether the Swiss Transportation Museum right there in Lucerne is already in your plans, but it is a very popular attraction . I’ve been there a good number of times and despite this my last visit lasted for over three hours. I could easily have stayed longer but I had to drive to visit friends in Germany that same day. You can learn more about this museum here: http://www.verkehrshaus.ch/en It is called the Verkehrshaus der Schweiz in Swiss-German and is located at 5 Lidostrasse. If you look at the attached diagram, you will see that it is easy to get there from downtown Lucerne by train, city bus, boat, or foot, although if it is raining you might prefer the bus.

By the way, I’m not hoping for rainy weather for you, but I do hope that you will get an opportunity to visit the old town in Berne. There are six kilometres of arcades along the streets in the old town, which has been designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The arcades mean you can keep pretty dry no matter what the weather, and there are all kinds of interesting shops and restaurants here. I remember hitch-hiking to Berne from Neuchâtel when I was a student and buying my first guitar in a shop in the arcades: http://www.myswitzerland.com/ fr-ca/6-km-d-arcades.html You may recall that earlier in this thread Rockoyster also suggested Berne.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 March 2018 at 4:46:31 #880237

Yes, we are planning on seeing the Transportation Museum. Thanks!

• The thread ‘Rainy day alternative to mountain- Zurich or Basel’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.