Basel SBB to Interlaken Ost by Eurail Global Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2019 at 12:30:35 #822589

Good evening.

We are a family of four, including a senior citizen and a minor child (9 years), travelling from Paris to Interlaken Ost on July 20, 2019 using our Eurail Global Passes. We have booked Paris to Basel Seat Reservation, and now need Basel to Interlaken Ost Seat Reservation on the 15.59 PM train.

(i) Can we make it to the 15.31 PM train after reaching Basel SBB at 15.26 PM, given that we include a Senior and a Minor?

(ii) Will the Eurail Global Pass work on the 15.31 (and the 15.59) train, and so do we just need to reserve seats or will I need to purchase full Tickets?

(iii) Can we travel on this train (15.31 / 15.59) without Seat Reservation using just our Eurail Global Passes? Will we be allowed to board the train? Is it that difficult to find seats in this season? We would have a piece of luggage each too.

Thanks.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2019 at 19:47:51 #916656

Hello ASFBJG and Welcome to MySwissAlps,

Nice to hear you’re all coming along to Switzerland.

You won’t need a seat reservation for the trains Basel to Interlaken, as normally reservations are not required in Swiss trains:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/tr ain/reservations

You can simply board the train, holding you Eurail Global Pass and show it upon request:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/eu railglobalpass/validit y

Thank to this you will also be flexible regarding which train to take. See the timetable for possible connections:
    http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Hope this answers your question. Get back to us anytime for further input.

Best and happy journey.
    Steph

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    1 July 2019 at 23:49:58 #916657

1) you don’t need to book or reserve seats on Swiss main line trains; the Eurail pass gives you ‘walk- on’ validity for the main line Swiss rail network.

2) I can see from the schedules that the TGV arriving at 15.26 is an official connection to the 15.31 to Interlaken – it is a ‘cross-platform connection (arrive on p10 and walk 3 metres across to p9 ). Official connections mean that a train will be held if a connecting train arrives late (unless it is very very late due to exceptional circumstances).

In fact it looks like the 15.31 train (IC1077) has been deliberately created to give passengers a seemless connection Paris – Interlaken

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2019 at 6:09:36 #916658

Dear Steph,

Dear 1960man,

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I have clarity on the issue. Please also help with a follow up question:

(I) When checking Trains free to board using Swiss Travel Pass (I have purchased these Passes for myself and my family), the results show trains like A to B. Does this mean the return journey from B to A is not covered, and will need Tickets?

(II) Between these points A and B covered by STP, we can get off the train at any point and continue the journey by the next train, right?

Needless to say, I wish to make full use of our STP during our forthcoming stay.

Thanks.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2019 at 6:11:44 #916659

Dear 1960man,

Thank you for the prompt response. I have posted a follow up question to Steph. Thankful for a reply at your convenience.

Regards.

Arno
    15484 posts
    2 July 2019 at 7:26:52 #916660

Hi ASFBJG,

The Swiss Travel Pass allows fully flexible travel. The map shows the routes where it is valid: http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity. Direction of travel and where you get on and off the train is not important. You can travel as you like. Have fun!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    2 July 2019 at 11:28:07 #916661

Dear Arno,

Greetings!

Many thanks for your reply.

Regards.

• The thread ‘Basel SBB to Interlaken Ost by Eurail Global Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.