Basel to Geneva best route with Swiss Travel Pass

• vinagi
    Participant
    2 posts
    29 June 2017 at 20:44:12 #812458

Hi to all the travellers!

We are already in Switzerland and enjoying it!

We are planning to travel to Geneva using the travel pass.

Can you advice which direction is better – Biel, Interlaken or other?

On all the itineraries I see dotted line, which means I have to pay extra. When and where I do that?

How I know which train is free for me.

Thanks

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    30 June 2017 at 3:37:55 #865991

Hi vinagi, and welcome to MySwissAlps!

>> Can you advice which direction is better – Biel, Interlaken or other?

That depends on what you mean by better 😉

The fastest way, which the timetable will suggest by default, takes around 2.75 hours, and goes via Biel/Bienne, Olten or Bern. If your connection involves a change of trains at Biel/Bienne or at Bern, changing trains just means walking to the other side of the same platform. If you need to change trains at Olten, you need to walk from Platform 12 to Platform 8 – two platforms over. This route is pleasant, with flatish or undulating countryside, and not especially scenic.

A route with mountain, lake and traditional village scenery – which would take 5.5 to 6 hours – would be to go via part of the Golden Pass route: Basel > Spiez > Zweisimmen > Montreux > Genève

If you had all day, you could incorporate the full Golden Pass route, which would take 8 to 8.25 hours: Basel > Luzern > Interlaken Ost > Zweisimmen > Montreux > Genève

All these routes are free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

>> On all the itineraries I see dotted line, which means I have to pay extra. When and where I do that?

I think what you are probably looking at are dashed lines, depicting tunnels. These trains are free with the Swiss Travel Pass.

You can plan this trip and check your options using the Swiss Timetable. To travel by a scenic route, you will need to put the stations I noted above into the “via” fields of the timetable.

http://www.myswissalps.com/ti metable

Alpenrose

vinagi
    Participant
    2 posts
    2 July 2017 at 8:19:06 #865992

Thank you!

We took the short cut.

Enjoyed the view and the trip!

And the stay in Geneva.

Went to Annecy in France as well. Highly recommended!

Annika
    7104 posts
    2 July 2017 at 18:25:16 #865993

Hi vinagi, thanks for getting back to us! I’m glad to hear you enjoyed your trip. If you like, you can post your trip report here.

• The thread ‘Basel to Geneva best route with Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10730 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.