Varying prices for train from Basel to Paris

• Deshani57
    Participant
    43 posts
    19 July 2019 at 15:11:03 #822935

Hi,

Just a quick question to clear up some confusion. I was trying to check prices for the train from Basel SBB to Paris for 13th Sep. The SBB site quoted CHF 199.00 for 1 adult on 2nd class. But on trainline eu and loco2.com, it shows approx. EUR 165 for the entire family (2 adults & 2 kids, 5y and 22m) on 2nd class and EUR 199.00 on first class!

It seems like I’m doing something wrong. What am I missing?

Also, is now too early to book train tickets?

TIA!

Deshani

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    19 July 2019 at 22:53:42 #918185

SBB is not a discount shop. Compare retailers at http://www.myswissalps.com/tr aintickets/france/pric e. Make sure you are comparing TGV prices. See also http://www.tgv-lyria.com/en.

You can generally book the TGV up to 4 months in advance.

Annika
    7116 posts
    20 July 2019 at 9:37:08 #918186

Hi Deshani! I don’t think you’re doing anything wrong. Prices can vary per retailer, and you can just look for the best deal. Any of the retailers listed on the page mentioned by Rockoyster would be fine.

Deshani57
    Participant
    43 posts
    20 July 2019 at 17:46:27 #918187

Thankyou much Rockoyster and Annika!

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    22 July 2019 at 14:52:25 #918188

Make sure you are comparing like with like.

The trains from Basel to Paris are operated by a joint venture of SBB and SNCF. As such the authority sites to by tickets for them are SBB and oui.sncf.

And in my experience the prices are usually the same on both. SBB and SNCF both sell the same range of discounted and full price tickets.

Oui.sncf will also offer tickets via Strasbourg, and so will Loco2 or Trainline. They will also often advertise cheap tickets that in reality already have sold out, which you will only find out once you start booking…

Gingy500
    Participant
    10 posts
    22 July 2019 at 21:22:41 #918189

For your family, make sure you book the whole family at the same time. The sncf web page for these fares are very confusing. Start at the Lyria page. They have something called a Hi Five deal, where you get a much better deal for small groups (3+5). I ended up paying 135 € for 3 people from Paris to Basel. Link:

http://www.tgv-lyria.com/en/booking/s pecial-offers/lyria-promotions/hi-five-offer

Deshani57
    Participant
    43 posts
    23 July 2019 at 13:19:28 #918190

Thankyou Krist and Gingy500. I will check it out.. Appreciate the feedback.

• The thread ‘Varying prices for train from Basel to Paris’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10980 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.