Left luggage question – when hiking

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 June 2017 at 23:09:31 #812258

One the Swiss Rail site I found the following information regarding left luggage:

” From: any staffed rail station. Hand in before 7 PM (during opening hours).

To: any staffed rail station. Collect two days later from 9 AM (during opening hours). If you collect more than 4 days after the arrival day, a fee of CHF 5 per day applies.”

My question is: Do I need to be ticketed to the station where I want my luggage left?. I depart Zermatt and will travel to Alpiglen. However, it is my understanding Alpiglen is not a staffed station. I would request my luggage to be left in either Grindewald or Kleine Scheidegg.

I intend to spend 4-6 days hiking in the region and will end my trip in either of the above two places to get my luggage. Is this doable? What are the negatives?

Thanks!

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 1:51:59 #865097

Hello,

I believe if you going to station only to collect your baggage you do not need a ticket for the station. This doesn’t make sense to me.

Thanks

Megha

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    14 June 2017 at 6:00:09 #865098

Hi.

You can send your luggage ahead and hike to the next destination without a train ticket. In your case, you will have to send it to Grindelwald and collect it from there before changing for Alpiglen.

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 13:04:44 #865099

Alan, Thanks for the left luggage information. I am still uncertain that I can do what I wish to do regarding luggage. And am requesting you confirm that yes I can do the following:

1. Check luggage in Zermatt to be picked up in Grindelwald (per your recommendation).

2. Collect the luggage 5-8 days after I’ve checked it, understanding there is a fee for the lengthy checked luggage … I am uncertain as to the length of time as my hiking will be dependent upon weather and aging knees.

Again, I appreciate your taking the time to confirm my understanding of how left luggage works in Switzerland.

AlanPrice
    Participant
    279 posts
    14 June 2017 at 22:17:15 #865100

Hi Julie,

1) You can most certainly check your luggage in Zermatt for Grindelwald. I usually do it the other way around – go from Grindelwald to Zermatt, but the process is the same. Just ask at the ticket office where to take your bags because they will have to be weighed – there is a weight limit per individual item (25kg)

2) Leaving your luggage for a week or so is not a problem. I don’t know how long you can leave luggage before it is declared “Abandoned”, but it would be more than a couple of months. You have to fill out a form when you check your luggage and if you have a phone number, they will contact you if there is a problem.

http://www.sbb.ch/content/dam /sbb/de/pdf/bahnhof-services/dienstleistun gen/gepaeck/Gepaecketi ketten_Nutzen.pdf

I have used this service for 35 years for exactly the same reasons you want to – to go hiking from A to B unemcumbered and I thoroughly recommend it.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    14 June 2017 at 23:26:55 #865101

Again my thanks Alan … all set now for the luggage portion of the adventure.

• The thread ‘Left luggage question – when hiking’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.