Belle Epoque Golden Pass booking confusion

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    8 July 2018 at 16:19:52 #817158

Hello,

This is my first post, but wanted to give a huge thanks to all for moderating and contributing to these forums. They’ve been a big help in planning for our August Switzerland vacation.

I’m finally hung up on something I can’t figure out, however, and that’s booking a seat on the Belle Epoque GoldenPass train from Montreux to Zweisimmen on Aug. 17. I’d like to reserve a seat on the 13:44 train using my Swiss Travel Pass, but it doesn’t seem to be showing when I pull it up on the reservation purchasing schedule. The timetable appears to show that is a time it runs, however. I know the trains have been under repair or renovations lately, but I think that timeframe has passed. Could it be that they are not quite finished yet? Any help would be appreciated.

Again, thanks so much to myswissalps.com. It’s such a valuable resource.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 6:21:08 #890755

That is looking tricky.

According to their timetable it should indeed be the Belle Epoque train and the Swiss railways timetable shows a 13:44 train departing, as does their online timetable, and yet their website shows no option to reserve it.

It could be fully reserved, but to my knowledge it would still show the train but show that it is booked. This could have changed I suppose and they simply don’t show the train at all if the seats are all booked.

My suggestion would be to contact them directly to inquire about this and see what they say.
    https://www.mob.ch/en/ home/contact/index

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 14:15:31 #890757

Hi Mike,

Apparently bookings for the Belle-Époque trains will not be available before the middle of July. See AnnRolls’ post of Jun 12, 2018 – 7:25 AM on the following page:

http://www.myswissalps.com/fo rum/topic/how-to-pre-book-the-goldenpass-classic-train

Alpenrose

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 July 2018 at 23:42:04 #890758

There are quite a few seats on the Belle Epoque sets so I think you would get away without reserving.

Note that not all the carriages are original, some are replicas

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 July 2018 at 23:42:18 #890759

Thanks to all for your responses and help with this. I did notice that today the Belle Epoque trains were added to the reservation system, at least on the date I was looking to book. I now have a reservation for first class seats, however, we have second class Swiss Travel Passes. I saw in another forum posting that you simply pay the fare difference on board. Am I correct about that?

Thanks again!

rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 July 2018 at 23:50:55 #890760

You need to buy a route specific class upgrade at bit.ly/2rZEIXh or at any station. You can’t do it on board the train. You can generally do it onboard boats.

• The thread ‘Belle Epoque Golden Pass booking confusion’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 10950 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.