Benefits with the Swiss Travel Pass

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    9 May 2018 at 13:45:24 #815855

Hi

We are a family of 3 our son is 14yr old. want to buy swiss pass for our travel to Switzerland. I have the following questions

1. we buy 2 adult swiss pass and our son travels free? is this correct.

2. We will be reaching Lucern from Venice early morning and would like to do the following things. Junghfrouh, Rigi & Lucern Boat cruise.

3. Glacier express is it worth the time and what should be the base for it, we definitely would like to do a part of it.

4. Scilthron is it good to travel in summer.

5. we have 4 full days and 3 night. we fly out on the 4th late evening from Zurich.

6. Want to experience the Swiss natural beauty on a budget.

7. Can you suggest an itinerary for us.

Appreciate your effort.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 1:31:33 #884733

Hi Tanya and welcome to MySwissAlps!

1. I think you mean Swiss Travel Pass? If so, then your son travels free as long as you also order (for free) the Swiss Family Card.
    2. All in one day? I hope not. 🙂 Use the Swiss railways timetable to plan out the trips.
    3. If you ant to do the Glacier Express I’d try go to Zermatt or Andermatt to start the train and head to Chur.
    4. Schilthorn is always good but I don’t think you have time (Schilthorn or Jungfraujoch).
    5. ok
    6. ok
    7. We don’t create itineraries here. But we can help you create your own. I’d travel from Venice to St. Moritz for 1 night. Then take the Glacier Express to Zermatt (1 night) then on to Luzern for 1 night before catching a train from Luzern to Zurich airport on your last day.
    rockoyster
    Participant
    8889 posts
    10 May 2018 at 3:29:38 #884734

For such a short visit I would really question the merits of a trip on the Glacier Express unless you like really long train rides. Have a look at these comments.

To understand the benefits of the Swiss Travel Pass you really need to check out the map available at http://www.myswissalps.com/sw isstravelpass/validity.

If you get a Swiss Travel Pass and want to experience Swiss natural beauty on a budget then go to Schilthorn and skip Jungfraujoch.

What about . . . .travel from Venice to Lugano for one night. Then take Gotthard Panorama Express (http://www.myswissalps.com/go tthardpanoramaexpress) to Lucerne for 2 nights and do a day trip to the Jungfrau Region from there. You could do Rigi on your last morning before continuing to Zurich to catch your flight.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    10 May 2018 at 6:26:52 #884735

Hi

Thanks for the prompt and informative reply. Will work out on these lines.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 9:59:00 #884736

With all the imput i have my plan chalked out and need your views on this. We will be traveling with the Swiss Travel Pass

1. Arrive at Lugano from Venive by Flexibus by 14.30. Evening free to explore Lugano

2. Board the Gotthard Panorama Express for Lucern.( It is a saturday board at 9.30 reach lucern by 15.00) evening to explore lucern.

3. Lucern to Interlaken and covering Schilthron. night at Interlaken

4. Mount Junghfrou from interlaken

5. Interlaken to zurich for our evening flight.

Please advise on the day wise plan and also is it feasible to take a swiss plass for the above as we are 2 adult and our son is 14yr old hence travels free with is on the swiss travel pass.

Also any suggestions on budget accommodation at Lucern and Interlaken. Need your advise befor i start booking.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    13 May 2018 at 18:05:59 #884737

Hi Tanya,

Is each # (1., 2., etc) a different day?

You’ll need to do the math and compare ticket costs to rail passes. Look here for help: https://www.myswissalp s.com/train/ticketspas ses/practical/choosera ilpass

The Swiss Travel Pass is the simplest option if you don’t want to do the math (and possible the cheapest once you add on the free Swiss Family Card for your son.

For hotel suggestions look here: Interlaken hotels, Lucerne hotels.

• The thread ‘Benefits with the Swiss Travel Pass’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11040 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.