Bergamo to Vaduz roadtrip – scenic road options?

• Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2017 at 12:34:26 #813694

We’re picking up a hire car in Bergamo and we have 4 nights to drive around. The plan is to spend at least one night up as far as Vaduz.

Any suggestions of a scenic and comfortable route? Im an experienced driver but less so with Swiss mountains.

We’ll be travelling the first week in December.

Thanks very much in advance for all your help.

• Effortlessly learn from the questions and answers in the forum. Receive a daily e-mail with new discussions.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2017 at 15:55:46 #872139

Hi stellag and welcome to MySwissAlps!

The mountain passes will all be closed so driving isn’t the best option in the winter for scenery (you’ll most likely need to take at least one car train to get through the mountains). So the best bet is to travel by train here – especially in the winter as you enjoy the scenery rather than focusing on driving.

For ideas on where to go in Switzerland click here. If you’re looking to be up in the mountains for a night or two a town in the Jungfrau region would be a good option.

Also going to Zermatt could be a good trip as well – if you aren’t intent in Vaduz or that area?
    I’m not clear on your post if you are looking to spend all 4 nights in Switzerland or this would just be a day or 1 night trip from Bergamo?

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    19 November 2017 at 16:25:46 #872140

Thanks so much for your reply Lucas.

I’m struggling to plan this trip as I cant find a quick way to plan a route and see the roads that are closed, for example I dont think google maps tell you this information when you plan a route?

If you were to plan a route to Vaduz avoiding the mountain passes, is this possible?

Where can I find more information about the mountain trains for cars?

Thanks again,

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 November 2017 at 8:32:27 #872141

You can read more about car trains on my link on the first post. Also, You can read more about mountain passes and current conditions on this website: https://www.alpen-paesse.ch/en/

I think your best bet is to drive close to Milan and head north on highway 2 and then highway 13 from Bellinzona going through the San Bernardino tunnel .This is probably the safest route, avoiding most passes.

Also, The drive via Tirano (NE of Bergamo) over the Bernina Pass and Julier Pass (near St. Moritz) should be possible if there are no temporary closures and you are experienced driving in winter conditions.

Either way, make sure you have winter tires and be prepared for snow and possible road closures.

I haven’t driven either route myself, but perhaps another member has.

Removed user
    Participant
    72625 posts
    20 November 2017 at 13:54:57 #872142

Thanks so much Lucas, those links and ideas are exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks again 🙂

• The thread ‘Bergamo to Vaduz roadtrip – scenic road options?’ is closed to new replies.

About MySwissAlps

We’re passionate tourists and locals. We share tips about how to plan a trip to Switzerland. MySwissAlps was founded in 2002.

Get a free account for a worry-free trip

• Join our 11050 members and ask us questions in the forum
  • Access to member-only promotions
  • Detailed maps and weather forecasts

Planning your first Switzerland adventure?

Get a jump-start with Annika’s 20-minute e-mail course, “Switzerland for beginners”. Subscribe to our newsletter to unlock the course.